The War of 1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The War of 1812

Somehow, nobody much noticed the two hundredth anniversary of the war of 1812,

Mr. Turf and I went to some of the southern battlegrounds the year before; with some irony I report that they do still exist and belong to state governments, because many are now boat launches, especially in Alabama.

So without knowing a specific date, I looked up trying to find when Andrew Jackson let his bunch from Tennessee down to New Orleans. The arrived in New Orleans on the first of December 1814. So, as we watch the first cold weather of the season arrive, think of the guys wandering down Natchez Trace to get to NOLA to kick out the British.

We had been to the Chalmette Battlefield on a morning when the fog rolled in and it made that battle the more impressive to have the cold, clammy, reduced visibility. Sometimes, they just had to fight with what nature dumped on them.

While at this time of the year Andy Jackson was leading his Tennesseans down to New Orleans, you know there were men on the march without facilities, Napoleon Bonaparte was painted by the (now) famous painter David in his opulent study, in clothes that were so white you know they were never near the real frontier.
    dp-461342-30.jpg

Comment

A bit before 1812, Napoleon had sent his brother Jerome to North America. While there Jerome had amused himself with a young woman of Baltimore MD, and had married her. When they traveled to Europe, Napoleon (from whom there were NO secrets) forbade the woman' s entry onto French soil. Other entries had happened and she and Jerome had a son. But then Jerome was granted a divorce and married a German Princess.
      This left the young Baltimorian with a son and a husband who she said wasn't her ex. All sorts of court intrigue while on the frontier, Indian Tribes were playing politics and armies were counting their manpower in hundreds and the occasional thousand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizab...gest%20brother.

Comment

Working...
      X