And now....the Portal Season begins....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now....the Portal Season begins....

If I'm Barnes, I'm looking for a big, mean forward, a backup point guard who can start year after next and lastly a shooting guard...although that may not be critical depending on portals out. At this point we've got three shooting guards (Bishop, Dillione & Gainey) and a shooting forward (Carr) and four posts (Adioo, Tobe, Estrella & Phillips) and one Utility (Mashack). Right now I'd likely start Zig, Gainey, Shack, Carr & Aidoo/Tobe. Barne$ has been quoted as saying he's excited about next year's team.....I hope I am also.

Did anyone listen to Basilio's post game? He said we are going to lose some to the portal and we will get active quickly and was going to name names later but I had to turn it off and spend Easter with the family and guests over a meal of food. I did hear that Freddy is probably gone because he's lost, and Carr is a huge priority in keeping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    YOUR 2021 AND 2023 Picking Match Champion.

https://www.wwe.com/f/styles/gallery..._BIB_Props.jpg

Tammy, get me some hash-browns... GFYWD.

It ain't nothing to me to whoop a man's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Morgan View Post
      Did anyone listen to Basilio's post game? He said we are going to lose some to the portal and we will get active quickly and was going to name names later but I had to turn it off and spend Easter with the family and guests over a meal of food. I did hear that Freddy is probably gone because he's lost, and Carr is a huge priority in keeping.

Yes. Only names he mentioned were Dillione, Aidoo and Jefferson. Judd called in and said 4-5 could portal.

Comment

Originally posted by Volatl View Post

Yes. Only names he mentioned were Dillione, Aidoo and Jefferson. Judd called in and said 4-5 could portal.
        Okay thanks, he was supposed to mention people that we are looking to bring in. Did he name any names?

Comment

I seriously doubt Aidoo will leave...I'd put Dillione at 50/50. I see no reason for Jefferson to stay. I would guess that Barne$ and Co. won't be advertising who they're looking at....but word will eventually get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post
            I seriously doubt Aidoo will leave...I'd put Dillione at 50/50. I see no reason for Jefferson to stay. I would guess that Barne$ and Co. won't be advertising who they're looking at....but word will eventually get out.
            We paid bigly to fend off regals courting Adieu last year. Rumor has it Kansas and UNC are wanting him. Do we pony up and keep him or George Jettison him?

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post
              Word on the street is that Dillione just really has not grasped it… Which is a bit surprising, considering that he came in mid year last season and redshirted, but practiced with the team as far as I know, and has essentially a year and a half under his belt now. The fact that Gainey was playing so much ahead of him is telling in my opinion.

I suppose I can see why Carr might not have been playing as much because he plays a different position but Freddy was supposed to be the back up point guard and had rave reviews early on as I recall. They were both forced into action against Creighton since Vescovi was not available. I really do find it frustrating that neither freshman guard could get more playing time over the course of the season. Phillips too. Some of those games where we had 20 point leads should have seen them come in well before there were only 2-3 minutes to go. Not all at once, but sprinkle them in.

One thing about Barnes is that once a player gets in his doghouse, it's almost impossible to get out of it. He's had a lot of turnover in his roster over the years. And not all of it just because of the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We paid bigly to fend off regals courting Adieu last year. Rumor has it Kansas and UNC are wanting him. Do we pony up and keep him or George Jettison him?

How did we do that if we dumped all our NIL $$ on Knecht ??

Comment

From Basilio's blog today...

NO KADOOS FOR AIDONT ...No offense but 6-11 Jonas Aidoo (thanks to Refalytics Jud for the nickname) played smaller than 6-8 Tobe Awaka and 6-11 freshman J.P. Estrella was more effective against the massive Edey. Estrella is a promising prospect for next season, and he certainly grew some chest hair yesterday. Aidoo, who has been plagued by knee problems, looked real stiff in the NCAA tourney. He fumbled the ball when it was passed to him. He was awful. Not sure how much NIL money I'd invest in him on next year's roster. Not saying I told you so but maybe I am ... was worried about this team's inside depth heading into this tournament. We ran out of fouls to give inside.

Last year Tennessee made a sizeable investment in Aidoo after a few blueblood programs came sniffing around on him. And why not? Aidoo is an excellent rim protector with an interesting range on offense. He's just too much of a finesse player at times that he can get overwhelmed in certain types of games. This time around he's going to have some of the top programs in the sport making overtures. Tennessee has to decide what the goal here is and ultimately if he's worth the investment. The ceiling for Estrella is unlimited. Rick Barnes believes he's going to be the best big man he's had at Tennessee. The question is ... will this happen sooner or later for him. Awaka might be worth investing in but he can't find a way to stay on the floor. Yesterday he fouled out in 13 minutes. That's simply not viable though he does nice things on the floor at times against certain competition.

The belief is that Tennessee will be active in the transfer portal and already have several guys lined up. We expect at least two guys from the current roster to enter the portal with Dilione and Jefferson as the top two candidates to jump. As far as NIL it should be pointed out that Tennessee's two highest paid players on this year's roster were Knecht and Dilione. Obviously Freddie isn't worth the money as he barely saw the floor whereas Knecht was a bargain at any price. How Tennessee rebuilds from here will take a deft touch and we'll track it every step of the way here.

One player to watch from here is Chaz Lanier, a rugged, sharp shooting guard from University of North Florida via Ensworth High School in the mid state. We'll have more about him down the line here but watch this name with the Vols. He can really shoot it. We'll have a more precise roster breakdown at midweek here where we deep dive into who stays, who goes and who might be added.

Comment

Nearly every game we lost you can point to Aidoo's sucking soft ass play being the big reason.

Purdue x 2 I get is an extreme with the Ogre there

but then explain to me MStste???

He got absolutely abused in all four.

I know he had some great games and did contribute to helping this team grab some wins.

But he was so unusable in this tournament that we had to play a Freshman who didn't even see the floor for most of the season. Barnes pulled his useless ass against Creighton in game where honestly Aidoo should have shined!!

Aidoo isn't worth the investment and we'd be better off developing Awaka and Estrella than giving that soft batch dude a single minute.

Juice ain't worth the squeeze.

only caveat I'll throw out is if for some reason he had the Vesco and was sick the entire tournament … he surely played like he was … so if not … run him and improve the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by awinatl View Post

How did we do that if we dumped all our NIL $$ on Knecht ??
                      Don't choot the messenger, and sounds like we need to bankroll our hoops NIL with more funds. Connect supposedly only got like $200k and our ROI for the SEC POY and First Team AA should pay dividends in the portal for several annums.

The Adieu stuff has been talked about for a good while and how we paid to retain his services. Maybe his money came from a slush fund? Rainy day fund?

Comment

Working...
                      X