Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bedlam to end when OU joins the SEC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bedlam to end when OU joins the SEC

    OU-Okie State game has been played every year since 1910....Including WWI...WWII
    Last edited by Tnphil; September 20, 2022, 05:40 PM.

    #2
    The world needs more, not less bedlam.

    Nothing better than an annual football game named after a British Victorian mental hospital.

    Why can't we all just get along?

    Comment


      #3
      Another casualty of super-conference alignments-- nothing but skeletons left out on the prairie-- Okie St and Nebraska. Pac-12 demise soon to follow.

      Comment


        #4
        I really hate that we've lost--forever--a lot of the big rivalry games that I grew up watching...games like Arkansas v. Anyone in the old Southwest Conference, Nebraska v. Anyone in the old Big 8 Conference, Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State, Big Ten v. Pac 12 in the Rose Bowl,..all of us could name about 25 of these old rivalries that are now gone. These games really personified college football to me and were totally different than an NFL game in every aspect of the game and the emotions attached to the game.
        It's TIME. The Vols are back.



        Comment


          #5
          The powers that be are going to find out the hard way that CFB is built on local, traditional rivalries-- such that were in the Big-8 and the SWC, and the nationally prominent Nebraska-OU and Arkansas-Texas games. None of those schools have won a NC since tiny-UT in 2004.

          Comment


            #6
            Sadly the powers that be are just trying to fill the 3 PM (and 7 PM) slots with attractive games that Joe Blow and I will watch on the TV. Soon as they get pay per view all will be good.
            "Elvis is dead, and I don't feel so good myself"

            Comment


              #7
              Ruining college football

              Comment


                #8
                To play Devils advocate for a second, CFB needs more OK v Clemson type matchups and less Nebraska v TX ones. There is a huge gulf in football between CFB and the NFL. I know some of y’all still have your little marbles in a bind over player salaries and kneeling. Although, it was just a little while back the same folks told me that I shouldn’t care what someone makes, but I digress. The difference between the NFL and CFB is the level of play, and the fact that every team has a real chance to win every week. I’d 100 to 1 rather watch a Jacksonville v Indy matchup than a Georgia v ETSU one. Without a draft to try and level the talent, the only thing left is to get more competitive matchups.

                You gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.

                Comment


                  #9
                  James Franklin reveals why Penn State refuses to play SEC teams (thecomeback.com)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by nasavol View Post
                    To play Devils advocate for a second, CFB needs more OK v Clemson type matchups and less Nebraska v TX ones. There is a huge gulf in football between CFB and the NFL. I know some of y’all still have your little marbles in a bind over player salaries and kneeling. Although, it was just a little while back the same folks told me that I shouldn’t care what someone makes, but I digress. The difference between the NFL and CFB is the level of play, and the fact that every team has a real chance to win every week. I’d 100 to 1 rather watch a Jacksonville v Indy matchup than a Georgia v ETSU one. Without a draft to try and level the talent, the only thing left is to get more competitive matchups.

                    You gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.
                    I would mostly agree although CFB by farrrrrrr needs less of the UGA-ETSU games but it’s those type of games that get scheduled when a OK-Okie St game gets dropped.

                    I would also add that a draft is much needed and with the transfer portal and NIL activity we see these days it’s very clear what are the primary influences behind players choosing which “school” to attend

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Going into the 4th week of the season and there has been a shitload of UGA-ETSU.....UT-Akron etc type games every week. Time to put a stop to that bullshit. Having 1 is OK but 3-4 of them isn't IMO

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Tnphil View Post
                        Going into the 4th week of the season and there has been a shitload of UGA-ETSU.....UT-Akron etc type games every week. Time to put a stop to that bullshit. Having 1 is OK but 3-4 of them isn't IMO
                        I think perhaps that is coming, with consolidation and the formation of super conferences.

                        The big issue with a lot of SEC schools and expansion, is how long the rotation might be to play everyone in the conference. The best way to fix this is to reduce the number of fixed opponents and the second best way is to increase the number of conference games. I look for them to do both of these things in the SEC.

                        More conference games means less Goliath v. David matchups. I also believe the NCAA will eventually fracture and the big teams will form their own new governing body, excluding the old D2 teams in football. That will cut down on the mismatches as well.

                        As long as bowl choices are subjective and there's no playoff, then teams will load up on as many cupcakes as possible to better their overall record by the end of the season. The Vols are as bad as anyone else in this.

                        I agree with NASA that the quality of football in college is waaaaayyy lower than the NFL. Maybe better competition will help, but I just don't think we'll ever see any kind of college player draft. The only way the NFL does it is with an exemption to the Sherman Anti-trust Act. Drafts are a restraint on free labor choices.

                        If there's a college draft, there will have to be Congressional action to allow it to happen. And there will then be created a college football labor union to protect the players from ownership abuses, when their free labor rights are abrogated. College football will basically become a professional football league.
                        Why can't we all just get along?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Polemicvol View Post

                          I think perhaps that is coming, with consolidation and the formation of super conferences.

                          The big issue with a lot of SEC schools and expansion, is how long the rotation might be to play everyone in the conference. The best way to fix this is to reduce the number of fixed opponents and the second best way is to increase the number of conference games. I look for them to do both of these things in the SEC.

                          More conference games means less Goliath v. David matchups. I also believe the NCAA will eventually fracture and the big teams will form their own new governing body, excluding the old D2 teams in football. That will cut down on the mismatches as well.

                          As long as bowl choices are subjective and there's no playoff, then teams will load up on as many cupcakes as possible to better their overall record by the end of the season. The Vols are as bad as anyone else in this.

                          I agree with NASA that the quality of football in college is waaaaayyy lower than the NFL. Maybe better competition will help, but I just don't think we'll ever see any kind of college player draft. The only way the NFL does it is with an exemption to the Sherman Anti-trust Act. Drafts are a restraint on free labor choices.

                          If there's a college draft, there will have to be Congressional action to allow it to happen. And there will then be created a college football labor union to protect the players from ownership abuses, when their free labor rights are abrogated. College football will basically become a professional football league.
                          A players union is coming anyway

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by awinatl View Post

                            A players union is coming anyway
                            It is, and college football will become no more than a minor league for the NFL

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by nasavol View Post

                              It is, and college football will become no more than a minor league for the NFL
                              It already is…particularly with NIL and transfer portal. And while I might not like it, I also know it's not going away.

                              I do think we need to stop with the hypocrisy of pretending that players sign “scholarships” to attend “school” at dear old State Tech. They should probably go ahead and start a minor league…but as long as colleges are the de facto minor league, and the NFL doesn't have to spend a cent for the development and maturation of “college” players, it probably won't happen.

                              As far as the quality of opponents…it is a joke when we play Akron, or UGA plays Samford, etc…but there's also a little kid at his/her first game who just wants to see the home team win a game. So I get the weak sister scheduling too. The problem for the general fan is when they're stacked all in one week.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X