Bailey as a HS player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bailey as a HS player

The discussion du jour is who should be our QB and why Bailey either is or isn’t the answer, and why he is or isn’t higher than 3rd team. I stopped following recruiting with any gusto a while back, but wasn’t he supposed to be a highly rated 4* prospect? Was it all because of his receivers, system, OL, what?

Folks say he has the weakest arm of the 3. Milton has the strongest. I guess a 10 yard overthrow > a 10 yard under throw because the former isn’t going to be intercepted while the latter might be. I’ve seen that Heupel’s offense relies on a vertical passing game…I guess the threat is there and defenses have to respect it, but do they really? Make the QB prove he can hit one before you do more than play man.

But back to Bailey…wasn’t he sort of a recruiting coup for Pruitt? Then suddenly he can’t play? I know Worley was a good prospect but he wasn’t all that as a college QB (certainly not in botch’s system)…folks said he had such a strong cast that his numbers were puffed up. Is that the case w/ Bailey too? Is he ill-fitted for a “modern” Heupel offense AND a bit of a throw-back offense?

I think, though the interception Saturday was horrid, that Hooker earned the start this week. We’re playing a team where multiple QBs should get a chance to play (of course we did the first week too…). I really do want to see what Bailey can do in Heupel’s offense, but unless Hooker shits the bed I’m guessing it might be his job to lose now. Milton just doesn’t seem to have a light switch to turn on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 Pro Style QB in country. #99 in nation according to 247. He was higher rated by other services.

https://247sports.com/Player/Harrison-Bailey-83301/

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...n-bailey-14458

Comment

I saw at least five of Bailey's HS games on TV, including their state championship winning game. He was one of the top ten QBs to come out of GA according to local experts.

He had three D-1 signees, including Ramel Keyton and Arik Gilbert, in his receiving corps.

He was a fantastic thrower as a QB. He did what you want. He hit guys in stride to help them rack up the YAC. He could move around enough to buy some time, but he was not Michael Vick running the ball. The majority of the teams they played were overmatched, but they won games against some really good HS teams in and out of the state.

He was held up as on the level just below Trevor Lawrence and Deshaun Watson and rightfully so. Those two were incredible in HS.

I can't believe after his O&W game, he was still behind Hooker. He was much better throwing the ball in that game.

Heup finally has the mobile black QB he never had for his offense, and he's obsessed with the big arm and big body to his own detriment. If Bailey were black and a little more mobile, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by egbert View Post
        The discussion du jour is who should be our QB and why Bailey either is or isn’t the answer, and why he is or isn’t higher than 3rd team. I stopped following recruiting with any gusto a while back, but wasn’t he supposed to be a highly rated 4* prospect? Was it all because of his receivers, system, OL, what?

Folks say he has the weakest arm of the 3. Milton has the strongest. I guess a 10 yard overthrow > a 10 yard under throw because the former isn’t going to be intercepted while the latter might be. I’ve seen that Heupel’s offense relies on a vertical passing game…I guess the threat is there and defenses have to respect it, but do they really? Make the QB prove he can hit one before you do more than play man.

But back to Bailey…wasn’t he sort of a recruiting coup for Pruitt? Then suddenly he can’t play? I know Worley was a good prospect but he wasn’t all that as a college QB (certainly not in botch’s system)…folks said he had such a strong cast that his numbers were puffed up. Is that the case w/ Bailey too? Is he ill-fitted for a “modern” Heupel offense AND a bit of a throw-back offense?

I think, though the interception Saturday was horrid, that Hooker earned the start this week. We’re playing a team where multiple QBs should get a chance to play (of course we did the first week too…). I really do want to see what Bailey can do in Heupel’s offense, but unless Hooker shits the bed I’m guessing it might be his job to lose now. Milton just doesn’t seem to have a light switch to turn on.

The only question I have is why did he not get any interest from Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Boydog View Post

The only question I have is why did he not get any interest from Georgia.

They signed a higher ranked QB that year and had a full QB room. Trust me, plenty of fans wanted Bailey in Athens.

Comment

Originally posted by RynoVol View Post
            I saw at least five of Bailey's HS games on TV, including their state championship winning game. He was one of the top ten QBs to come out of GA according to local experts.

He had three D-1 signees, including Ramel Keyton and Arik Gilbert, in his receiving corps.

He was a fantastic thrower as a QB. He did what you want. He hit guys in stride to help them rack up the YAC. He could move around enough to buy some time, but he was not Michael Vick running the ball. The majority of the teams they played were overmatched, but they won games against some really good HS teams in and out of the state.

He was held up as on the level just below Trevor Lawrence and Deshaun Watson and rightfully so. Those two were incredible in HS.

I can't believe after his O&W game, he was still behind Hooker. He was much better throwing the ball in that game.

Heup finally has the mobile black QB he never had for his offense, and he's obsessed with the big arm and big body to his own detriment. If Bailey were black and a little more mobile, this wouldn't even be an issue.
            If your aunt had nuts she would be your uncle. Bailey wasn't even recruited by his home state school. I wish he was more mobil and I wish he had a good arm but he lacks both. I hope I am wrong but I don't expect much from him or any of our QBs really. Its been so long since UT had even an average QB, I am not sure if they will ever get one.

Comment

I watched Bailey 8-9 times his Jr and Sr year in high school....I watched him in the 6A playoffs.....I watched him win a State Championship and I watched his team play a Washington State football team that had won a state championship in some bowl game in Las Vega and Bailey picked them apart and beat the ever loving crap out of them....

I LOL at folks that talk about his arm.....he can make the throws. Casey Clasen didn't have a cannon but he hit his receivers and he was a winner....Gitmo had a cannon arm where did that get us....Milton has a cannon arm and he can't hit the side of a barn from 50 yards....

IMO Heupel knows he doesn't have much on offense.....not much on the OL....not great RBs and he wants a QB that can run and add a threat to the offense....Bailey's arm as far as making the throws....checking down etc is better than Hooker or Milton...he's just not a running threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannabis Vol View Post

If your aunt had nuts she would be your uncle. Bailey wasn't even recruited by his home state school. I wish he was more mobil and I wish he had a good arm but he lacks both. I hope I am wrong but I don't expect much from him or any of our QBs really. Its been so long since UT had even an average QB, I am not sure if they will ever get one.
                I expect all this would be put to bed if they would just put him out there and see what he can do….nothing so far and so this will continue to grow.

Comment

I watched a lot of his HS games as well and to be clear I think he gives us the most consistent chance to move the ball.

That being said he relied HEAVILY on a screen game in H.S. like easily 40-50% of his yds were yards after catch. When he did throw it downfield he was very accurate but he certainly did benefit from pass catchers totally outclassing their cover guys and creating quite a bit of separation. He definitely showed the ability to go thru his progression and for sure commanded the offense.

Plenty of guys with weaker arms have done well in CFB and we don’t need him to be a top 10 NFL prospect but simply just recognize the open receiver and deliver a catchable ball to him

Comment

Bailey needs to play vs tech.

Comment

Harrison Bailey was at Alabama ESPN would be all over him.

Comment

Thanks for the responses y’all. I recall a time when coaches would tweak things to fit a specific QB, but coaches nowadays are married to one and only one “system” it seems. While a QB who can run gives a dynamic that we need, I am just baffled that so many have completely written him off. We need brains/touch/arm strength, in that order.

Milton had that big run Saturday yet was caught. Maybe Bailey doesn’t run as far. Hooker had a good run or two but it’s not like we’re looking at a Jimmy Streeter or Condredge Holloway in either Milton or Hooker. I remember Trevor Lawrence with a huge run in one of their games…not like he was a 100 meter champ.

Let me say that I’m not necessarily clamoring for Bailey to be the guy…I just don’t care for what I’ve seen from the anointed one in Milton, and for him to have been named starter after only a month in the program, and to have played as poorly as he has in two games, and to have been outplayed by Hooker (IMO)…something just doesn’t add up.

Comment

Originally posted by FLAVOLS View Post

I expect all this would be put to bed if they would just put him out there and see what he can do….nothing so far and so this will continue to grow.
                          Yes, and if he doesn’t get an opportunity this week then Heupel is just being stubborn (which is unheard of in a football coach…)

Comment

Originally posted by egbert View Post
                            Thanks for the responses y’all. I recall a time when coaches would tweak things to fit a specific QB, but coaches nowadays are married to one and only one “system” it seems. While a QB who can run gives a dynamic that we need, I am just baffled that so many have completely written him off. We need brains/touch/arm strength, in that order.

Milton had that big run Saturday yet was caught. Maybe Bailey doesn’t run as far. Hooker had a good run or two but it’s not like we’re looking at a Jimmy Streeter or Condredge Holloway in either Milton or Hooker. I remember Trevor Lawrence with a huge run in one of their games…not like he was a 100 meter champ.

Let me say that I’m not necessarily clamoring for Bailey to be the guy…I just don’t care for what I’ve seen from the anointed one in Milton, and for him to have been named starter after only a month in the program, and to have played as poorly as he has in two games, and to have been outplayed by Hooker (IMO)…something just doesn’t add up.

Your first paragraph is what we have been watching for years now.

Comment

Bailey in high school is like every bama QB in the college. They are surrounded by elite talent that hides issues. I watched Bailey a lot in high school and Gilbert bailed him out a lot.
                              Elvis said find em young and Fred said old fashion girls are fun

Comment

Originally posted by clintonaldo View Post
                                Bailey in high school is like every bama QB in the college. They are surrounded by elite talent that hides issues. I watched Bailey a lot in high school and Gilbert bailed him out a lot.
                                Out, troll.

Comment

Originally posted by RynoVol View Post

Out, troll.
                                  Out with your race baiting ass! You pivoted from Heupel was attached to Milton and once that blew up all of the sudden if Bailey was black he would be playing. #terribleandstupid.

Nice try troll

Comment

I've seen WR's and RB's bail out QBs on college and NFL level more than I can count.....Saw some today in the NFL. WR's and RBs can drop passes that hit them right in the hands and it goes against the QBs completion stats too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnphil View Post
                                      I've seen WR's and RB's bail out QBs on college and NFL level more than I can count.....Saw some today in the NFL. WR's and RBs can drop passes that hit them right in the hands and it goes against the QBs completion stats too.
                                      We’ve all seen it meanwhile Hyatt is dropping passes that hit him in the arms. Our receiving corp right now ain’t bailing out anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonaldo View Post

We’ve all seen it meanwhile Hyatt is dropping passes that hit him in the arms. Our receiving corp right now ain’t bailing out anyone.
                                        To quote every coach ever:
                                        "Players got to make plays."

Also, sometimes player have to be better than the play.

Comment

Working...
                                        X