I found this great picture of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this great picture of

Sam Ewing sliding home against Vandy in Nashville in 1970....my how things have changed regarding baseball facilities in the SEC!!!
    Mine's Bigger

The sweet swinging lefty. I first started watching UT baseball in that era. Sat where those spectators are sitting in the photo many times.
    Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
    Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
    And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
    We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
    I'm gonna cross that river
    I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
      The sweet swinging lefty. I first started watching UT baseball in that era. Sat where those spectators are sitting in the photo many times.
      Do you remember a pitcher named Don Miller….he’s a friend & customer down in Cocoa Beach? He played about the same time. Fouled off balls must have been fun back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mine's Bigger

Comment

That picture is actually from a game at Vandy. My .dad and I went a lot of the UT / Vandy games there.

Lower Hudson Field at UT was in the same place that Lindsey Nelson is now. It had a similar hill setup, but there was a backstop between the plate and the hill where spectators sat.

Don't rememthat name off the top of my head.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Looks like a sandlot game, where the spectators are waiting for “next”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by egbert View Post
            Looks like a sandlot game, where the spectators are waiting for “next”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
            Larry Smittou was Vandy's coach back in those days before he left to become the GM of the Nashville Sounds when they came in to existence. The UT frat guys hated Smittou and he hated them. The interaction was quite entertaining for a young guy like I was to see.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post

Do you remember a pitcher named Don Miller….he’s a friend & customer down in Cocoa Beach? He played about the same time. Fouled off balls must have been fun back then

Exactly what I was thinking, or overthrows.

Comment

The spectators look like they just got out of a Chemistry class early.

Comment

Originally posted by tenneddie View Post
                  The spectators look like they just got out of a Chemistry class early.
                  (1) I wonder how many of the spectators were owners of a slide rule?
                  (2) I wonder how many of you MonVols know what a slide rule is?
                  Speaking of Tennessee football, Mallon remarked...

Comment

Originally posted by Mallon Faircloth View Post

I owned one…..and was very happy when Texas Instruments provided an alternative

Mine's Bigger

Comment

I owned one…..and was very happy when Texas Instruments provided an alternative

I recall getting our first calculator…I was probably 7-8 years old. I think my folks got it from Readers Digest or some such on a payment plan. I think it was around $100…but it was a miracle machine, replacing the adding machine my bookkeeper mom used.

Never had the pleasure of using a slide rule, but my dad did…I wonder what ever happened to it. Probably worth some money had he kept it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mallon Faircloth View Post

I had a slide rule.

Had no idea what to do with it, but I had one.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

I had a slide rule.

Had no idea what to do with it, but I had one.
                          I took physics at Bearden in the 11th grade with Happy Harry (the physics fairy) Kroll. He made us use a slide rule.....and it was such a pain. It's probably tucked away in a box somewhere. I couldn't use it today if I had to. He's the one who made the bathrooms near his classroom smell like vomit (butyric acid?)....so nobody would hang out in them. He hated me......which I likely earned....but I wasn't too fond of him either......
                          Mine's Bigger

Comment

I took physics at Bearden in the 11th grade with Happy Harry (the physics fairy) Kroll. He made us use a slide rule.....and it was such a pain. It's probably tucked away in a box somewhere. I couldn't use it today if I had to. He's the one who made the bathrooms near his classroom smell like vomit (butyric acid?)....so nobody would hang out in them. He hated me......which I likely earned....but I wasn't too fond of him either......
                            Yep. I had him, too. Passed his class, but I have no idea how. He was way over my head.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Yep. I had him, too. Passed his class, but I have no idea how. He was way over my head.
                              I kept breaking things in his class.....not on purpose, but I destroyed some prism when we were studying wave mechanics and some "see rock city" toy he had....when he passed it around. I wasn't a great student....and I think he just tolerated my presence.
                              Mine's Bigger

Comment

I kept breaking things in his class.....not on purpose, but I destroyed some prism when we were studying wave mechanics and some "see rock city" toy he had....when he passed it around. I wasn't a great student....and I think he just tolerated my presence.
                                Apparently he thought my name was "Hey You In The Back". That's all he ever said to me.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X