SEC may now claim #1 draft pick bust: Jamarcus Russell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEC may now claim #1 draft pick bust: Jamarcus Russell

When the coach says "We're still developing him" and instead starts Charlie Frye, you know that somewhere Ryan Leaf is wondering if he will be forgotten. I remember Leaf was #2, but he still gets a lot of press as a major bust.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4748408

For those who may not have followed Charlie Frye's career closely, he was the Akron QB, who was drafted by the Cleveland Browns and who was picked up ?2 years ago as a free agent by Oakland.
    http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports...ns_quarte.html

Re: SEC may now claim #1 draft pick bust: Jamarcus Russell

Let's wait a little longer. Remember everyone was ready to wtpe Vince Young off the map. Russell is at an organization that makes busts out of everyone. He may emerge somewhere and resurrect his career.

Comment

I think Tim Couch beat him to the punch on that distinction

UT has had two number one overall picks: George "Bad News" Cafego and Peyton "Bad Moon" Manning. They both turned out OK.

Comment

Re: I think Tim Couch beat him to the punch on that distinction

I believe Bob Johnson was the first pick in the 68 draft. Also the first ever pick by the Bengals.

Comment

Johnson was #2 overall

Minnesota picked Ron Yary out of USC who went on to a Hall of Fame career. They traded Fran Tarkenton to the Giants for the pick--Tarkenton eventually returned to Minnesota.

Johnson was the last original Bengal still playing and I think his number is the only Bengal number retired--maybe Esiason or Munoz have been. He made the AFL All-Star game once.

Comment

Originally posted by sangle wang View Post
            Peyton "Bad Moon" Manning.
            "My dreams are all dead and buried...
            Sometimes I wish the sun would just explode.
            When God comes and calls me to his kingdom,
            I'm takin' all you sons o' bitches when I go."

Comment

Quickdraw, for the win, for best use of an avatar on a sports message board, or any board for that matter.

Comment

Tim Couch????

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
                When the coach says "We're still developing him" and instead starts Charlie Frye, you know that somewhere Ryan Leaf is wondering if he will be forgotten. I remember Leaf was #2, but he still gets a lot of press as a major bust.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4748408

For those who may not have followed Charlie Frye's career closely, he was the Akron QB, who was drafted by the Cleveland Browns and who was picked up ?2 years ago as a free agent by Oakland.
                http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports...ns_quarte.html
                As I recall Tim Couch was a #1 pick and also a total bust. Since Russell is still playing and therefore has a slim "chance" to get better than Couch would be #1 SEC Bust of all time. Heath Shuler at #3 pick would be a Top 5 SEC Bust. Another SEC high pick (and maybe #1) was a DE from AU back in the late 80's who I think the lowly Falcons drafted. He never did a thing.
                "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Re: SEC may now claim #1 draft pick bust: Jamarcus Russell

Aundray Bruce. He was useless in the NFL.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X