The University of Tennessee and 90% of it's fans are gutless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The University of Tennessee and 90% of it's fans are gutless

College football at the top level is a high stakes game and UT and most of it's fans don't have the stones to play. The first sniff of trouble and UT is read to piss it's pants and run crying to the house. If you want to win big you have to take big risks. That's how it is and that's how it's been since the NCAA grew teeth some fifty odd years ago. Look at all the great runs over the last 40 years or so. Bama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, FSU, Miami, USC, all of them had helladacious thuggery or trouble with the man. More often than not, they had some of both.

It's how it's done. The old saying goes that rules were made to be broken. It goes without saying that they were made to be bent all to hell. I will bet you the farm, the tractor, and Betsy the cow, that Neyland did shit that would make Barry Switzer blush like a schoolgirl. The only difference was that there was very little enforcement of a very few rules back in the General's day. Bobby Dodd once famously spoke of the payscale for players at UT. Nothing has changed since then

What if you get caught? So What? If Bammer and Oklahoma have taught us anything, it that there is life after probation. In 1988 the NCAA dropped the hammer on Bad Barry and the Sooners. Twelve years later there was Stoops hoisting the crystal trophy. In fact since 1973, Oklahoma has won 18 conference titles and 4 MNCs, bending and breaking rules all the way. Bear Bryant was to put it mildly, suspected of playing loose with the rulebook, and Bama has been in and out of the NCAA doghouse for most of the last two decades. where has it all gotten them? Why the BCS championship game, of course! Since 1973 Bama has racked up an impressive 9 SEC titles and are playing for their 5th MNC. Since 1973 the wholesome virtuous Vols have had no NCAA probation, and have accounted for 5 conference crowns and 1 MNC. This proves that nice guys may not always finish last, but they don't finish first that much either.

Those are two of the most notorious outlaw programs in all of college football. Both of them "hammered" by the big bad NCAA. Okie won a MNC 11 years after getting put on probation. Bammer won a conference title six years after it's first go-round with the NCAA, and is poised to win the big one while still on probation. All the shit Bammer has been through with the NCAA, and they are still going to end up with more conference and national titles than us during the past two decades. Would somebody tell me why we are afraid of getting in trouble again?

Call me crazy, but I'll trade a couple of years on probation and a few schollies for two or three BCS/SEC titles. I know this kind of talk scares the shit out most of you, but fuck it. I am more than ready to ride the razor's edge with Kiffin and O.
    Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
    Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
    But as sure as God made black and white
    What’s done in the dark will be brought to the light

Re: The University of Tennessee and 90% of it's fans are gutless

Bravo VV...Bravo.....UT fans have been lulled into this pussy mode for so long we have PMS once a month....My gosh the bitching, rumors, fear I've seen and read in the last week.....90% is on the low end as far as the pussy foots are concerned...its time UT shits on someone else's parade...others have been shitting on us way to long....Cry me a river pussies!!!

Comment

I don't know what the fuck the Volchat crowd is so afraid of anyway. They can still tailgate and swap tater salad recipes if we get in trouble.

Comment

No "Molder of Men" and Tater Salad?

I have said it before- UT has been in the "business" of SELLING both Tradition and Nostalgia rather than being in the much tougher busness of WINNING ballgames. With the TV contracts and Marketing Contracts, the UTAD has found a much easier life by emphasizing the atmosphere and tailgating around a UT ballgame. They have become "Ole Miss" where the whole weekend seems to be about socializing in The Grove.

The VolChat crowd used to get really pissed when I said we needed to be MORE like Bammer in our ruthlessness to WIN GAMES. You have a losing year as a Bammer coach and there is a segment of the fan base who would seriously consider stringing the coaching staff up. They don't want to hear any excuses and they don't give a rats ass if you cheat- as long as you WIN GAMES. My question to them was when did the UT fan base take the fork in the road that leads towards an Ole Miss type program rather than a Bammer type program?
        "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Re: No "Molder of Men" and Tater Salad?

Originally posted by AtlantaVol View Post
          I have said it before- UT has been in the "business" of SELLING both Tradition and Nostalgia rather than being in the much tougher busness of WINNING ballgames. With the TV contracts and Marketing Contracts, the UTAD has found a much easier life by emphasizing the atmosphere and tailgating around a UT ballgame. They have become "Ole Miss" where the whole weekend seems to be about socializing in The Grove.

The VolChat crowd used to get really pissed when I said we needed to be MORE like Bammer in our ruthlessness to WIN GAMES. You have a losing year as a Bammer coach and there is a segment of the fan base who would seriously consider stringing the coaching staff up. They don't want to hear any excuses and they don't give a rats ass if you cheat- as long as you WIN GAMES. My question to them was when did the UT fan base take the fork in the road that leads towards an Ole Miss type program rather than a Bammer type program?
          Easy answer AV....when we had a pussy coach that let everyone slap him around.....hell the players even took on his personality....they quit when the going got tough...remember the Penn state running back a few years ago after they beat us in the Outback Bowl...he said we knew if we kept hitting them in the mouth they would quit...and Spikes at Florida just 2 years ago said...they just quit..Tennessee just quit....then the fans took on the same personality....fans took him hook line and sinker...much like Jim Baker and the PTL club....I never did...not patting myself on the back but I know a sly crook when I see one...
          Last edited by Tnphil; December 15, 2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Yep...the mangina named Fulmer...i'm kinda enjoying this fu type of coach...big time college football ain't for mangina's like fulmer

Comment

Easy answer AV. Right after Fatlock snitched on Bammer. No matter how much the Fulmersexuals want to believe otherwise, Phil was playing ball back in the 90's, and I don't mean he was at the gym shooting hoops. Fulmer played in the gray areas when he was still shooting for the top. He was one of the boys, and they all looked the other way to an extent. Honor among thieves, so to speak. Then he broke the unwritten code among coaches, he ratted. I'm sure complacency played a part in his downfall, but after the Bama deal, he had to play things by the book for fear of someone ratting him out. The Jamal and Al Wilson types started going elsewhere and so began the downward spiral.

Comment

Well...we DID just fire a NC-winning coach who is 2 years removed from a SEC title game. I wouldn't say we've gone the ole miss route. A little bit of hyperbole there, I'd say.

Comment

No hyperbole at all

Originally posted by JoeVols View Post
                  Well...we DID just fire a NC-winning coach who is 2 years removed from a SEC title game. I wouldn't say we've gone the ole miss route. A little bit of hyperbole there, I'd say.
                  For a whole DECADE we had a huge segment of the fan base who was more concerned with Tailgating, swapping long ago wwar stories, making jokes at Bammer for cheating, reminiscing about John Ward, etc and actually WINNING games was NOT the highest priority- socializing and acting sanctimonious (?sp) was the main thing.

I kept seeing Bammer fire their coaches and want to lynch their ass if they didn't WIN and WIN BIG. Bama insisted on SECC's and BCS Games and Top 10 finishes and NOTHING else would satisfy them even if they went thru 20 fucking coaches to get what they wanted. UT went the Ole Miss route of socializing in The Grove and hoping for a good game where UT would win 8 games a year and hopefully go to a SECC game every so often. Who cared if they actually won the fucking game or went to a BCS Bowl.
                  "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Will bamer's 2009 NC have an asterisk beside it? HELL NO!

Comment

SACK UP MOTHER FUCKER AND PUSH THE ENVELOPE.

That's the creed I live my life by and now my football team is living it. Maybe if our redneck Shoney attending pussy haven't been out of Tennessee in 50 years fan base would follow this creed we could get shit done. Maybe fucking Neyland would be the stuff of legend.

Comment

Great post...let's not forget....

...two years ago Saban went to Foley, Alabama, to the Foley High spring game, in an RV loaded with Alabama folks, among them Ken Stabler and Lee Roy Jordan. He just happened to bump into Julio with these two....at a time when he wasn't supposed to be able to see him play.

It led to the "Bump Rule". Saban thought so much of it that last year he just happened to be in the parking lot, when another hot shot recruit, I think in Memphis, pulled into school. Just happened to be at the spot this player would be parking at. Kid "bumped" into him long enough to say a word or two about Saban's time with the Dolphins.

So, yes, you want an omelette, you may have to break a few eggs.

When you list those six "monster" violations that the papers write about, you see how big a joke it really is. Smoke machines? Shaking hands on ESPN (when the recruit walks in while cameras rolling)? C'mon.

Comment

Re: No hyperbole at all

For a whole DECADE we had a huge segment of the fan base who was more concerned with Tailgating, swapping long ago wwar stories, making jokes at Bammer for cheating, reminiscing about John Ward, etc and actually WINNING games was NOT the highest priority- socializing and acting sanctimonious (?sp) was the main thing.

I kept seeing Bammer fire their coaches and want to lynch their ass if they didn't WIN and WIN BIG. Bama insisted on SECC's and BCS Games and Top 10 finishes and NOTHING else would satisfy them even if they went thru 20 fucking coaches to get what they wanted. UT went the Ole Miss route of socializing in The Grove and hoping for a good game where UT would win 8 games a year and hopefully go to a SECC game every so often. Who cared if they actually won the fucking game or went to a BCS Bowl.
                          I agree that we went too long without winning being the first priority. But in the present tense, I'm hopeful we've finally shaken that and can get to where winning (legally) is as big a deal as it is at places like bama and UF.

Comment

Re: Great post...let's not forget....

Originally posted by rocketcityvol View Post
                            ...two years ago Saban went to Foley, Alabama, to the Foley High spring game, in an RV loaded with Alabama folks, among them Ken Stabler and Lee Roy Jordan. He just happened to bump into Julio with these two....at a time when he wasn't supposed to be able to see him play.

It led to the "Bump Rule". Saban thought so much of it that last year he just happened to be in the parking lot, when another hot shot recruit, I think in Memphis, pulled into school. Just happened to be at the spot this player would be parking at. Kid "bumped" into him long enough to say a word or two about Saban's time with the Dolphins.

So, yes, you want an omelette, you may have to break a few eggs.

When you list those six "monster" violations that the papers write about, you see how big a joke it really is. Smoke machines? Shaking hands on ESPN (when the recruit walks in while cameras rolling)? C'mon.
                            nice work RCV...if UT coaches did something like this 90% of our fans would shit in their pants and think the world was coming to an end....For some we'd be better off doing away with football and forming a campfire girls program..

Comment

A buddy of mine gave Coach Majors a ride (you can guess why). At the time, my friend was a college assistant coach at a D-2 school. He decided to pick JM's brain so he asked the question, "Coach Majors, what was the best coaching decision you ever made?" Not missing a beat, Majors said, "It would have to be giving Tony Dorsett $10,000 to come to play football at the University of Pittsburg." Majors may have been pulling his leg, who knows?
                              Last edited by SonofGryllus; December 16, 2009, 08:06 AM.
                              Dooley on tryin to draw Vandy offside on 4th-2: "Didn't work. It usually never does. But you've got to do it, just in case there's 1 moron."

"We proved that we've got a room full of tough guys," Brown said. "I'd rather be a Tennessee Vol and lose every game than go somewhere else and win them all." - Wes Brown

Comment

I take it that you can only tailgate and smile when we win the SEC championship. Other than that you must wear a black hood and take the oath of silence. Not a Fulmer basher or Fulmer lover but there seems to be a tiny group who are actually pissed off that he made more than they did.
                                Attack. Attack. Attack

Comment

I agree for the most part, but Bammer Hired some of the worst coaches you could imagine. I'm wracking my pea brain trying to figure out where any of those coaches is employed now. Franchione was arguably the best and he quit yet still hasn't found a gig has he?

No Bammer couldn't get a coach to work for them. They had to make Sabin the highest paid coach in history to bail on Miami.

Bammer is too fucking stupid to know what their doing. If Sabin hadn't been a shit coach in the NFL who knows how bad they would be.
                                  Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to fuck you up with some truth.
                                  — Kenny Powers

Comment

Originally posted by leonsking View Post
                                    I agree for the most part, but Bammer Hired some of the worst coaches you could imagine. I'm wracking my pea brain trying to figure out where any of those coaches is employed now. Franchione was arguably the best and he quit yet still hasn't found a gig has he?

No Bammer couldn't get a coach to work for them. They had to make Sabin the highest paid coach in history to bail on Miami.

Bammer is too fucking stupid to know what their doing. If Sabin hadn't been a shit coach in the NFL who knows how bad they would be.
                                    Franchione, Dubose, Price, Shula.

They actually had a couple decent hires but Franchione bailed for A&M, Price got busted with prostitutes, Dubose won SEC title in 1999 but he got busted with secretary and had some really bad seasons. Shula was the ex-qb who was the only person to "help" the Tide due to probation and actually had one good season for them in '05. Your analysis of Bama really is wrong due to the coaches they hired have had catastrophic PR/HR nightmares or they had no other choices due to probation. They have been the sleeping giant as we all knew they would be back to prominence with the correct leader.

Comment

yup, bammer is out of the dark ages for good now. Too much money to be made by the school when they have a good FB team.
                                      "My dreams are all dead and buried...
                                      Sometimes I wish the sun would just explode.
                                      When God comes and calls me to his kingdom,
                                      I'm takin' all you sons o' bitches when I go."

Comment

Working...
                                      X