Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of vibes that the defense is really going to be good this year

Originally posted by volmeister View Post
    Wewind has access to the red chair. Don't forget that.
    It's a really nice chair! Nothing but the best for Mallon.

If my little pecker gnat make believe color artist expert would get his act together, I may invite him for a game. I'm not countin on it though.
    Last edited by RewindVOL; August 14, 2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Question for ya

Originally posted by RewindVOL View Post
      It's a really nice chair! Nothing but the best for Mallon.

If my little pecker gnat make believe color artist expert would get his act together, I may invite him for a game. I'm not countin on it though.
      Do The Three Stooges (Melon, WeWind, and JCrew) ever actually attend UT games in person or is the Threesome you guys have on THE Red Chair just too much to pass up???
      "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaVol View Post
        Do The Three Stooges (Melon, WeWind, and JCrew) ever actually attend UT games in person or is the Threesome you guys have on THE Red Chair just too much to pass up???
        I take it reading comprehension is not your specialty. I and only I sit there when I make it over there. We attend plenty of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Tripod View Post
          Good Lord...I had no idea they were as bad as that. I just remembered that UT's defense sucked whenever they were forced to make a big stop in the redzone, they failed. I didnt realize it was that BAD! I guess it should be easy to improve on that stat. Thanks for the stat V-N-A.
          Vol defense was 36th in the nation in overall defense last year. The Negatron can always dig up a negative number to post here. Red zone last year was lacking bulk and push in the middle. That should not be a problem this season.

Comment

Originally posted by wagee12 View Post
            Vol defense was 36th in the nation in overall defense last year. The Negatron can always dig up a negative number to post here. Red zone last year was lacking bulk and push in the middle. That should not be a problem this season.
            Our defense flat got worn down in the latter parts of our big games last year. We didn't have enough defensive line depth and we got wore out. I think that likely had a lot to do with our bad red zone defense. If the opponent had driven it down that far, we just didn't have enough left in the tank to stop them.

I expect we will be much improved in red zone defense this year, with much better quality depth.
            Why can't we all just get along?

Comment

If my lil pecker gnat is right...that just goes to show that a blind hog can find an acorn. I am still trying to wrap my mind around that "stellar" OL that UT used last season. SMDH
              Not that he needs it, but i'm gonna jump in here and defend your gnat.

He said "after" Dobbs emerged that the OL was stellar. A bit of on exaggeration, but they did get better. Couldn't get worse.

Seems I remember Iowa had a couple DL get drafted too, and of course they were manhandled.

I think the offense will be explosive and have big play capability. I doubt early on we're gonna have many 80 yard 8 minute drives, but I don't think the defense will have to "carry" the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckvol View Post

He said "after" Dobbs emerged that the OL was stellar. A bit of on exaggeration, but they did get better. Couldn't get worse.

Seems I remember Iowa had a couple DL get drafted too, and of course they were manhandled.

I think the offense will be explosive and have big play capability. I doubt early on we're gonna have many 80 yard 8 minute drives, but I don't think the defense will have to "carry" the team.
                The only SEC type defense UT played after Dobbs became a starter was Missouri...It was also the game that UT suffered the most negative plays, including 6 sacks. I guess your definition of "stellar" is a whole lot different than mine. The OL was still blowing assignments into late November. If this offese is still blowing assignments this November, they better be damn explosive cause just watch the Missorui game and you will see just how important it is to be consistant and know what the fuck you are doing against seasoned defenses...you know...like most "stellar" OL's that I have seen do.

Comment

I would like to see the stats on the offensive production like how many FG's vs TD's and the times we got inside the 20 and had to settle for the FG. I can think off the top of my head 5 times the Vols were setup for crucial scores and either came away with fuckin nothing or a FG. My memory is that UT screwed the pooch more times than they didnt offensively so yeah, thats very surprising. You gotta link? I would like to see those stats.

If my lil pecker gnat is right...that just goes to show that a blind hog can find an acorn. I am still trying to wrap my mind around that "stellar" OL that UT used last season. SMDH
                  Your perception may be due to several major fuckups inside the 20 or very close to being inside the 20.

- Worley's pick 6 against OU
                  - Peterman's fumble on the first play he went in against UGA, right at their 20
                  - Worley's lost fumble against UF when the CB had a free shot at him because he had less than zero pocket presence
                  - Worley's back foot prayer to North that the best CB in the SEC picked at UF's goal line.

Just a few off the top of my head. These are the types of plays that need to GO AWAY if we're going to be a top 10 team.

The amazing thing is that 3 of those plays are the difference between 7-6 and 9-4. And if Worley doesn't pick six against OU that game might have been decided in the last 5 minutes.
                  Last edited by BrassVols; August 14, 2015, 07:38 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrassVols View Post
                    Your perception may be due to several major fuckups inside the 20 or very close to being inside the 20.

- Worley's pick 6 against OU
                    - Peterman's fumble on the first play he went in against UGA, right at their 20
                    - Worley's lost fumble against UF when the CB had a free shot at him because he had less than zero pocket presence
                    - Worley's back foot prayer to North that the best CB in the SEC picked at UF's goal line.

Just a few off the top of my head. These are the types of plays that need to GO AWAY if we're going to be a top 10 team.

The amazing thing is that 3 of those plays are the difference between 7-6 and 9-4. And if Worley doesn't pick six against OU that game might have been decided in the last 5 minutes.
                    Dead spot on...those were the ones. I also remeber Croom letting a 5' 9" CB out fight him for a ball in the endzone. It wasnt in the redzone but it should of been a TD...instead...1st and 10 on the 20 going the other way. Just a backbreaker. UT has to stop killing themselve offensively because of bonehead decisions. Those plays must GO AWAY! The offense needs to be on the same page for their bread and butter plays. If they cant stop running into each other like the keystone cops on their base package, the offese will sputter and the Vols climb back will be slowed.

Comment

Did you watch Vandy & Mizzou games? You really think the OL was stellar there?

Comment

AV, I believe Crowder was injured during those two games. He is not the greatest center in the SEC, but he is the best on this team. He was missed in those two games.

Comment

Did you watch Vandy & Mizzou games? You really think the OL was stellar there?
                          Of course I watched those games. I also watched the USCe, UK, and Iowa games.

Damn, can't either of you read?

I said stellar was an exaggeration. I said they got better.

Do you disagree that the OL improved by the bowl game?

Comment

Whats your definition of exaggeration?

Comment

The only SEC type defense UT played after Dobbs became a starter was Missouri...It was also the game that UT suffered the most negative plays, including 6 sacks. I guess your definition of "stellar" is a whole lot different than mine. The OL was still blowing assignments into late November. If this offese is still blowing assignments this November, they better be damn explosive cause just watch the Missorui game and you will see just how important it is to be consistant and know what the fuck you are doing against seasoned defenses...you know...like most "stellar" OL's that I have seen do.
                              Dobbs played over two quarters against bammer and did very well.

There is merit to the argument that Dobbs really made the offense better, particularly pass protection, as he's not a statue back there. And there is also merit to the argument that our schedule got a lot easier after Dobbs took over.

This year will tell us which argument is the best.
                              Why can't we all just get along?

Comment

No idea

Of course I watched those games. I also watched the USCe, UK, and Iowa games.

Damn, can't either of you read?

I said stellar was an exaggeration. I said they got better.

Do you disagree that the OL improved by the bowl game?
                                The Mizzou and Vandy games were at the end of the year and they were terrible on the OL. I agree with VolDavey on this one- it was virtually ALL due to Dobbs over Worley Bird as the reason the Offense looked better overall the last 5-6 games. When a DL has to worry about the QB running it slows them down a little. With Worley Bird they knew he wouldn't EVER run and could just go all out into the UT backfield where they could easily overpower the UT OL.

Dobbs made a very pedestrian OL look only slightly less than average where they had looked atrocious.

Comment

The Mizzou and Vandy games were at the end of the year and they were terrible on the OL. I agree with VolDavey on this one- it was virtually ALL due to Dobbs over Worley Bird as the reason the Offense looked better overall the last 5-6 games. When a DL has to worry about the QB running it slows them down a little. With Worley Bird they knew he wouldn't EVER run and could just go all out into the UT backfield where they could easily overpower the UT OL.

Dobbs made a very pedestrian OL look only slightly less than average where they had looked atrocious.
                                  You conveniently forget who was out in those games that meant a lot to that team - a team beat to hell at the end of the season. A team with little depth and what depth we did have had zero experience. A team who lost their Defensive leader and an offensive line with scant depth. An offensive line that had also just lost their center, who you don't like, but doesn't matter because the team was doing better with him making the calls on the line...
                                  A good example of that was in the bowl game when they had time to heal and could get most their players healthy again.

No that offensive line was not great - but they also were not near as bad when they had all the pieces in place - and that was not against Mizzou and Vandy late in the season.

Comment

Dead spot on...those were the ones. I also remeber Croom letting a 5' 9" CB out fight him for a ball in the endzone. It wasnt in the redzone but it should of been a TD...instead...1st and 10 on the 20 going the other way. Just a backbreaker. UT has to stop killing themselve offensively because of bonehead decisions. Those plays must GO AWAY! The offense needs to be on the same page for their bread and butter plays. If they cant stop running into each other like the keystone cops on their base package, the offese will sputter and the Vols climb back will be slowed.
                                    If you're looking just for critical blunder plays, add the fumble in our endzone that UGA recovered for a TD.

If we simply hadn't shit the bed on 3-4 plays, we beat UGA and UF last year. It's as simple as that.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Whats your definition of exaggeration?
                                      A good definition of EXAGGERATION would be by defining UT's 2014 OL as "stellar".

Comment

A good definition of EXAGGERATION would be by defining UT's 2014 OL as "stellar".
                                        August is the "Season of the Sheep" coach. That wool has been growing since January and will be sheared in September. OMers are not resistant to sheepy feelings.

Comment

Restating........

Originally posted by BrassVols View Post
                                          If you're looking just for critical blunder plays, add the fumble in our endzone that UGA recovered for a TD.

If we simply hadn't shit the bed on 3-4 plays, we beat UGA and UF last year. It's as simple as that.
                                          If we simply hadn't had Worley Bird & Peterman at QB on 3-4 plays, we beat UGA and UF last year. It's as simple as that.

And we might have beaten OU also.

Comment

Working...
                                          X