A lot of vibes that the defense is really going to be good this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of vibes that the defense is really going to be good this year

- DL, including DTs, have a lot of good quality depth, and we have some really talented young guys. The returning guys are reportedly looking very good as well.
    - Secondary is deep and fast. Gaulden is a guy we will get to know this year. Martin is a freakish athlete.
    - Linebackers - JRM is likely going to be all-SEC. Middle LB is unsettled, but we have some talented guys competing there. There is good and talented depth. Lots of speed.

IMO this defense will be our best defense since 2005. I think it could be dominant at times, and will be difficult to run on.

I agree...the defense is going to have to carry this team if the Vols are going to take that next step. The OL will be the weak link of this team and until they prove they are ready to play big boy football, the defense will have to carry the load. With all the athletes UT now has, I also expect the ST's to be a strength as well. Medley will be called on to win a few games since, on paper, it looks like the Vols will be in several close games. I am about ready for the off season from hell to be over. It seems like they have been in camp for months instead of just 10 days. Tomorrows practice is gonna be fun. I am looking forward to seeing this season unfold.

Comment

I think the OL will be ok. Average. Not great, but with the triple headed running threat we will have, including Dobbs, they may not have to be great. The OL looks much better blocking for Dobbs than it does blocking for a statue like Worley was.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Tripod View Post
        I agree...the defense is going to have to carry this team if the Vols are going to take that next step. The OL will be the weak link of this team and until they prove they are ready to play big boy football, the defense will have to carry the load. With all the athletes UT now has, I also expect the ST's to be a strength as well. Medley will be called on to win a few games since, on paper, it looks like the Vols will be in several close games. I am about ready for the off season from hell to be over. It seems like they have been in camp for months instead of just 10 days. Tomorrows practice is gonna be fun. I am looking forward to seeing this season unfold.
        A common theme in your posts lately have been negative towards the Offense. Why?

I don't see it. I see potent threats across the unit. WRs out the yazoo, 2 RBs we haven't had in a LONG time, the O-Line will be blocking for Dobbs which makes them look TONS better (AKA end of last year), same scheme, more talent.

I think you're fuckin nuts. I think you have a bad angle.

Comment

Originally posted by RewindVOL View Post
          A common theme in your posts lately have been negative towards the Offense. Why?

I don't see it. I see potent threats across the unit. WRs out the yazoo, 2 RBs we haven't had in a LONG time, the O-Line will be blocking for Dobbs which makes them look TONS better (AKA end of last year), same scheme, more talent.

I think you're fuckin nuts. I think you have a bad angle.
          First off...I am fuckin nuts but that has nothing to do with UT's OL problems. My reasoning is this...the OL, more than any other unit, has to be on the same page. Each position has to know what the guy beside him is doing as much as what he is doing. When there is doubt, you get the OL UT had last year. The only way to fix this is through reps...reps...reps...and more reps. Experience is vital...talent is needed as well. UT runs a zone blocking most of the time and its a good system but until everyone is on the same page, it can be ugly.

Robertson is the best OL UT has...currently and he is a soph. When UT needs a 3rd & 2 to keep a drive alive, I am concerned that the UT will be overwhelmed more times than not. In space...the OL should be able to create seams for the run game. On short yardage or a short field, I just have serious doubts. Dobbs helps make this OL look better but the critcal breakdowns UT had last year at critical times has not gone away and until it does, I dont have alot of confidence that UT will be able to consistantly move the chains against the top Defenses in the SEC. Just being OK, IMHO, wont get Vol fans the 9 wins that they are expecting unless the Defense carries the load.

Comment

First off...I am fuckin nuts but that has nothing to do with UT's OL problems. My reasoning is this...the OL, more than any other unit, has to be on the same page. Each position has to know what the guy beside him is doing as much as what he is doing. When there is doubt, you get the OL UT had last year. The only way to fix this is through reps...reps...reps...and more reps. Experience is vital...talent is needed as well. UT runs a zone blocking most of the time and its a good system but until everyone is on the same page, it can be ugly.

Robertson is the best OL UT has...currently and he is a soph. When UT needs a 3rd & 2 to keep a drive alive, I am concerned that the UT will be overwhelmed more times than not. In space...the OL should be able to create seams for the run game. On short yardage or a short field, I just have serious doubts. Dobbs helps make this OL look better but the critcal breakdowns UT had last year at critical times has not gone away and until it does, I dont have alot of confidence that UT will be able to consistantly move the chains against the top Defenses in the SEC. Just being OK, IMHO, wont get Vol fans the 9 wins that they are expecting unless the Defense carries the load.
            That's all a bunch of horseshit. Of course, we've come to expect that from you these days, captain perfect Orange color.

The O-Line played stellar once Dobbs took over last year. Even an O-Line novice like myself could see that. Our Offense will be better than it has in years! Go Vols! And GTFO!!

Comment

IMO the Defense Can't Carry the Load

If you can't score very easily then you might win a few games based on the Defense being good but you won't win 9 or more games unless your offense is at least Average for the SEC. We saw the defense dominate UF for well into the 4th quarter and never really do poorly. We saw them dominate Ole Miss for a while. Both opponents eventually won because we had no offense and the defense eventually wilted some.

In the SEC and essentially all of D1 FB the Offenses will score some points just due to the rules favoring offenses. Just can't win anymore based on only a defense.

In UT's case we might need to really see the bigger WR's like North, Croom, Jennings,Wolf, and maybe Malone make a real difference down inside the 20 yard line where running the ball might not be effective with our OL. All 5 of those WR's/TE are big and physical. So can they take the load off the running game and the OL inside the 20 yard line?
              "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Maybe Iowa kind of sucked, but I thought the OL looked night and day after getting a few weeks to prepare for that bowl game. Even with Jackson down, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that the OL will improve regardless. As to how much, that we shall see.

Comment

That's all a bunch of horseshit. Of course, we've come to expect that from you these days, captain perfect Orange color.

The O-Line played stellar once Dobbs took over last year. Even an O-Line novice like myself could see that. Our Offense will be better than it has in years! Go Vols! And GTFO!!
                  LOL our OL was far from stellar. They were so-so. Dobbs' abilities masked many of their shortcomings, and that may well hold true again this year, but Coach T is exactly right. I also worry about all the shuffling and how it will affect chemistry, which I think is especially critical for an OL running a zone blocking scheme.

Nonetheless, I am optimistic that our OL will be a mild surprise for us this year.

Of course, it's also possible that a bust from our inexperienced OL could result in Dobbs getting injured, and all the wheels come off.
                  sigpic

Comment

LOL...Your like a little pecker gnat...The fact you used the word "stellar" to describe UT's OL last year just shows what a dumbshit you are and proves you wouldnt know a "stellar" OL if it kicked you in your pussy. Go watch the OL pay against Missouri or Vandy and you will see what a clueless fuck the rest of us sees in your post. Keep whistling by the graveyard there pecker gnat boy...LMAO!

Comment

LOL...Your like a little pecker gnat...The fact you used the word "stellar" to describe UT's OL last year just shows what a dumbshit you are and proves you wouldnt know a "stellar" OL if it kicked you in your pussy. Go watch the OL pay against Missouri or Vandy and you will see what a clueless fuck the rest of us sees in your post. Keep whistling by the graveyard there pecker gnat boy...LMAO!
                      We'll see who's right. I say the Offense will be explosive. You don't. The difference in the O-Line play from Worley to Dobbs was incredible - Dobbs masking it or not. I would call their play, considering how they started, stellar.

Everyone knows you've been full of shit ever since you got here. "I went here, I went there." Blah blah blah. You don't know shit. Your generalities got old long ago. You produce nothing. GTFO!!

Comment

Good Lord you are dumb as a rock

If you think the OL played "stellar" after Dobbs showed up then you are far worse than a "novice". The OL didn't play any better but they didn't have a statue playing QB like Worley Bird was!!! Did you watch the Missouri and Vandy games at all?

TriPod is telling you the truth about the UT OL. It is BY FAR the weakest part of the UT team. It will be the part of the team that will be the cause if we don't win 9 games in 2015. The recruiting of other positions in 2013 and especially 2014 really increased the talent of the UT team but the OL talent wasn't improved much at all by the 2013 class and only 2 players (Robertson and Thomas) in 2014.

No that is the fact so go back and crawl up Melon Heads ass and sit in his red chair while you contemplate that!

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaVol View Post
                          If you think the OL played "stellar" after Dobbs showed up then you are far worse than a "novice". The OL didn't play any better but they didn't have a statue playing QB like Worley Bird was!!! Did you watch the Missouri and Vandy games at all?

TriPod is telling you the truth about the UT OL. It is BY FAR the weakest part of the UT team. It will be the part of the team that will be the cause if we don't win 9 games in 2015. The recruiting of other positions in 2013 and especially 2014 really increased the talent of the UT team but the OL talent wasn't improved much at all by the 2013 class and only 2 players (Robertson and Thomas) in 2014.

No that is the fact so go back and crawl up Melon Heads ass and sit in his red chair while you contemplate that!
                          Yeah, Robertson and Thomas are horrible, aren't they? I hate that I have to spell it out for you, but that is a rhetorical question. No need to answer.

Comment

[QUOTE=AtlantaVol;457208]If you can't score very easily then you might win a few games based on the Defense being good but you won't win 9 or more games unless your offense is at least Average for the SEC. We saw the defense dominate UF for well into the 4th quarter and never really do poorly. We saw them dominate Ole Miss for a while. Both opponents eventually won because we had no offense and the defense eventually wilted some.

QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I see happening again if this OL does NOT improve and thats why I said what I said. The defense can keep the Vols in games but the offense will have to capitalize on short fields that the defense gives them...just the exact opposite that happened against UF and the Vols lost. Thats a great example why I have concerns about this OL. Dobbs helps but he cant fix all the issues only reps and experience will fix UT's OL issues. there are no magic potions...just hard wrok and reps.

Comment

I will say that if we get average out of our O line that we will be good, however consider Dobbs accuracy on long balls. I don't see consistency there yet. Hopefully he finds it this year, but with an average o line and inability to stretch a defense -better teams will scheme to stop the run and short passing game. I HOPE Rewind is right...

Comment

WTF you talking about RetardVol???

Yeah, Robertson and Thomas are horrible, aren't they? I hate that I have to spell it out for you, but that is a rhetorical question. No need to answer.
                                I just posted this to you above and you replied with a typical RetardVol post.....

The recruiting of other positions in 2013 and especially 2014 really increased the talent of the UT team but the OL talent wasn't improved much at all by the 2013 class and only 2 players (Robertson and Thomas) in 2014.

So since you are to stupid to figure out what I posted let me make it simple for your brain to figure out:

1) 2013 had Sanders, Weisman, and Kendrick. It looks like on Kendrick is in the 2 deep so quite the dud of an OL class.

2) 2014 had Robertson and Thomas who will both likely be starters. But it also had Blair and Raulerson who have been passed by with True FR from the 2015 class.

Summary is for the first 2 OL recruiting classes of Jones we have 2 starters and maybe 1 2nd team guy. Now did I spell it out good enough for you to understand there RetardVol???

Comment

Originally posted by shootervol View Post
                                  I will say that if we get average out of our O line that we will be good, however consider Dobbs accuracy on long balls. I don't see consistency there yet. Hopefully he finds it this year, but with an average o line and inability to stretch a defense -better teams will scheme to stop the run and short passing game. I HOPE Rewind is right...
                                  Dobbs, the 2 TB's and the 6-7 WR's and TE might be able to overcome an OL that isn't even average by SEC standards. But Coach T has a point in that there is worry that UT may have trouble in the redone with scoring TD's as this OL might get manhandled physically by DL's in the SEC.

If UT still had a statue like Worley Bird at QB then this OL would be exposed like they were in 2014. Look at the UF game for the best example one can see.

Comment

We had a very good defense in 2008, despite the horrific record. Not sure about the JRM All SEC thingy.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaVol View Post
                                      I just posted this to you above and you replied with a typical RetardVol post.....

The recruiting of other positions in 2013 and especially 2014 really increased the talent of the UT team but the OL talent wasn't improved much at all by the 2013 class and only 2 players (Robertson and Thomas) in 2014.

So since you are to stupid to figure out what I posted let me make it simple for your brain to figure out:

1) 2013 had Sanders, Weisman, and Kendrick. It looks like on Kendrick is in the 2 deep so quite the dud of an OL class.

2) 2014 had Robertson and Thomas who will both likely be starters. But it also had Blair and Raulerson who have been passed by with True FR from the 2015 class.

Summary is for the first 2 OL recruiting classes of Jones we have 2 starters and maybe 1 2nd team guy. Now did I spell it out good enough for you to understand there RetardVol???
                                      I just posted this to you above and you replied with a typical Whoosh post...

"I hate that I have to spell it out for you, but that is a rhetorical question. No need to answer."

So since you are so stupid to figure out what I posted, let me make it simple for your puss brain to figure it out:

1) rhetorical question - a figure of speech asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information

2) Do not answer a rhetorical question.

Summary is for you not to answer a rhetorical question, especially if someone tells you it is a rhetorical question. Now did I spell it out good enough for you to understand there, Whooshy?

UT Football will be stellar this year. Woo.

Comment

I agree completely that the OL will be the weak link until they prove they aren't. This was really cemented in my little brain when I watched the breakdown the kid from MTSU gave on th eMissouri game that was posted by FLA in another thread yesterday. He confirmed everything I thought I was seeing last year, and unfortunately in the O&W game. In fact I think I posted a thread here about one play in the O&W game where the center blocked the wrong side and allowed the DE who twisted on the other side to have a bee line to the QB. Caught a lot of flack from one guy who might have been a relative of the center or known him.

After watching that analysis of the Mizzou game and recalling many of the breakdowns we had last year, I'm pretty sure most of the difficulties they've had are due to them not having a clear understanding on every play what they each have to do. In some cases this may be causing them to think too much right through the snap and thus get beat because they weren't ready. I was just mystified by some of the OLmen last year ignoring to block someone right across from them who then disrupted or ended the play. Whether all of those guys are just not too sharp, or whether they're not being prepared well enough is the question. I think it's the latter.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X