Offensive Line Update Gives Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offensive Line Update Gives Hope

Tennessee coach Butch Jones has yet to announce whether redshirt freshman lineman Charles Mosley’s future will be on the offensive line or defensive line, but the Brighton, Tenn., native is expected to remain on the offensive line after getting a look at left guard during the final week of spring practice. Jones hinted at the beginning of the spring that the 6-foot-5, 350-pound Mosley could end up on the offensive line despite the Vols’ plans to work him at defensive tackle. And while Mosley did some good things on defense throughout the spring while practicing at less than 100 percent, the general consensus seems to be that he has a higher ceiling on the offensive line.

Sophomore Coleman Thomas appears likely to remain at center for the foreseeable future after working there during the final five practices of the spring. Thomas played right tackle last season as a true freshman while appearing in 11 games and starting five, but Tennessee’s coaches theorized that he might be a better fit at guard or center moving forward. With redshirt sophomore Brett Kendrick having emerged this spring as a legitimate option at right tackle, the Vols now seem to be more comfortable with the idea of allowing Thomas to compete with fifth-year senior Mack Crowder for the starting job at center.

Coming out of spring practice, Tennessee’s coaches seem to believe their offensive line has made noticeable progress across the board since the end of last season. It’s fair to suggest the Vols now feel significantly better about their situation at every position on the offensive line other than left tackle, where they undoubtedly are in better shape but still are searching for depth.

Incoming signee Drew Richmond could help in that regard, as could the continued development of redshirt junior Dontavius Blair. But fifth-year senior Kyler Kerbyson, who’s a more natural fit at guard or right tackle, remains Tennessee’s most proven option at left tackle. The good news for the Vols is that he’s now much more comfortable at that position than he ever was last season after spending the entire spring there. Still, it’s not quite an ideal situation for UT, and the Vols’ left-tackle situation in general remains their biggest question mark on the offensive line heading into the summer.
    sigpic

Originally posted by tatar salad View Post
    Tennessee coach Butch Jones has yet to announce whether redshirt freshman lineman Charles Mosley’s future will be on the offensive line or defensive line, but the Brighton, Tenn., native is expected to remain on the offensive line after getting a look at left guard during the final week of spring practice. Jones hinted at the beginning of the spring that the 6-foot-5, 350-pound Mosley could end up on the offensive line despite the Vols’ plans to work him at defensive tackle. And while Mosley did some good things on defense throughout the spring while practicing at less than 100 percent, the general consensus seems to be that he has a higher ceiling on the offensive line.

Sophomore Coleman Thomas appears likely to remain at center for the foreseeable future after working there during the final five practices of the spring. Thomas played right tackle last season as a true freshman while appearing in 11 games and starting five, but Tennessee’s coaches theorized that he might be a better fit at guard or center moving forward. With redshirt sophomore Brett Kendrick having emerged this spring as a legitimate option at right tackle, the Vols now seem to be more comfortable with the idea of allowing Thomas to compete with fifth-year senior Mack Crowder for the starting job at center.

Coming out of spring practice, Tennessee’s coaches seem to believe their offensive line has made noticeable progress across the board since the end of last season. It’s fair to suggest the Vols now feel significantly better about their situation at every position on the offensive line other than left tackle, where they undoubtedly are in better shape but still are searching for depth.

Incoming signee Drew Richmond could help in that regard, as could the continued development of redshirt junior Dontavius Blair. But fifth-year senior Kyler Kerbyson, who’s a more natural fit at guard or right tackle, remains Tennessee’s most proven option at left tackle. The good news for the Vols is that he’s now much more comfortable at that position than he ever was last season after spending the entire spring there. Still, it’s not quite an ideal situation for UT, and the Vols’ left-tackle situation in general remains their biggest question mark on the offensive line heading into the summer.
    +1
    They will have their best five on the field in Nashville for the opener.

Comment

Two words...

Mike DeBord.
      Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the day,
      Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life...

Comment

I really hope someone steps up at left tackle because Kerbyson isn't that good there. Here's hoping either Blair or the incoming frosh Richmond practice well enough to win the left tackle spot. Also, I hope Coleman Thomas can win the center position. I just think he has way more upside than Crowder.

Comment

At this point I'm mainly worried about them getting enough reps as a unit to hone down some chemistry. I mean, Robertson is GOOD. Jackson and Kendrick are solid. Crowder/Thomas is at least decent. Kerbyson....has improved to decent. With some good chemistry, the collective might be at least solid.

At least it doesn't look like it will be a complete Charlie Foxtrot again this year.
          sigpic

Comment

Y'all remember what happened when Crowder had to miss playing time last season. Without his experience calling protections, it was a total train wreck. At the very worst, even if he can't beat out Crowder, Thomas hopefully gives the Vols an experienced backup should Mac miss time again this year.

Comment

My biggest concern with the OL is the many times last year and a few during the O&W game when an OLman simply let someone run right past him with no attempt to block him. There were some egregious examples of that shown on ESPN's draft show when they were showing highlights of Dante Fowler, for example, and others. In the O&W game (and I think I already posted a thread on this with video) there was a jailbreak up the middle on a DL stunt in which our 5th year starting center elected (or was coached) to double team on one side rather than sit back and protect the middle. With a live QB there would have been a sack by one of our 2nd-3rd team DEs.

These sorts of things just cannot be allowed to continue. It's one thing to get stuffed on a 4th and one because one side of the line got overpowered. It's another to have poor pass protection schemes or major busts by experienced OLmen that cause lost yardage and potentially turnovers. No matter how physically "ungifted" guys like KK and MC may or may not be, at this point with three 5th year seniors, a true soph who started every game his freshman year and won All SEC freshman honors, and a 3rd year soph, there is simply no excuse for repeatedly getting beat mentally. None. I can live with our OL getting physically whipped from time to time, but I've had it with the jailbreak shit. Time for Mahoney to make it rain good blocks.
              sigpic

Comment

Bottom line

Originally posted by BrassVols View Post
                My biggest concern with the OL is the many times last year and a few during the O&W game when an OLman simply let someone run right past him with no attempt to block him. There were some egregious examples of that shown on ESPN's draft show when they were showing highlights of Dante Fowler, for example, and others. In the O&W game (and I think I already posted a thread on this with video) there was a jailbreak up the middle on a DL stunt in which our 5th year starting center elected (or was coached) to double team on one side rather than sit back and protect the middle. With a live QB there would have been a sack by one of our 2nd-3rd team DEs.

These sorts of things just cannot be allowed to continue. It's one thing to get stuffed on a 4th and one because one side of the line got overpowered. It's another to have poor pass protection schemes or major busts by experienced OLmen that cause lost yardage and potentially turnovers. No matter how physically "ungifted" guys like KK and MC may or may not be, at this point with three 5th year seniors, a true soph who started every game his freshman year and won All SEC freshman honors, and a 3rd year soph, there is simply no excuse for repeatedly getting beat mentally. None. I can live with our OL getting physically whipped from time to time, but I've had it with the jailbreak shit. Time for Mahoney to make it rain good blocks.
                Is that it is time for a UT OL to turn into a Missouri OL. Other than Robertson, there isn't a physically talented OL on the team but as you say, guys like Crowder, Kerbyson, Jackson, etc have been coached by the same OL Coach going on their 3rd year now. Those 3 are 5th year SR's and they need to play like the Missouri OL's have played the last 2 years. Missouri isn't recruiting 4-5* OL players but they are playing 4th and 5th year experienced guys and getting the job done. Crowder is still the one I worry the most about. He may can call the blocks with his experience but he was just physically whipped by OU, Ole Miss, Bammer, Missouri, and especially UF last year. Even in the Iowa Bowl game he was physically whipped on a few plays although he did better in parts of that game. And he was the one you mention with the total misread during the Spring Game where he allowed a DE or LB to come right up the middle untouched.
                "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaVol View Post
                  Is that it is time for a UT OL to turn into a Missouri OL. Other than Robertson, there isn't a physically talented OL on the team but as you say, guys like Crowder, Kerbyson, Jackson, etc have been coached by the same OL Coach going on their 3rd year now. Those 3 are 5th year SR's and they need to play like the Missouri OL's have played the last 2 years. Missouri isn't recruiting 4-5* OL players but they are playing 4th and 5th year experienced guys and getting the job done. Crowder is still the one I worry the most about. He may can call the blocks with his experience but he was just physically whipped by OU, Ole Miss, Bammer, Missouri, and especially UF last year. Even in the Iowa Bowl game he was physically whipped on a few plays although he did better in parts of that game. And he was the one you mention with the total misread during the Spring Game where he allowed a DE or LB to come right up the middle untouched.
                  Excellent call AV. Missouri red-shirts most all their offensive linemen and rarely does one start until his junior year, with an exception here and there of course. I saw a post above that has already determined that Kerbyson can't play left tackle. Maybe so, but all reports on him this spring have been extremely positive. So I must assume that the poster believes the coaches are lying about his progress. Certainly, there is a chance he may not even start there come Sept. If he doesn't I will guarantee you he will be the starter at right tackle. In any event Missouri's offensive line has been under the radar when it comes to accolades, but they have been one of the top three or four offensive lines in the SEC ever since they entered the league.

Comment

Other than Robertson, there isn't a physically talented OL on the team
                    So the verdict has been passed on Jack Jones already? Big Charles? Chance Hall? Does that apply to Richmond who isn't with the team yet but will be shortly?

I'm not saying there isn't huge room for improvement from our starting OL...I'm just trying to see how far the psychic assumption goes.

Comment

Originally posted by RedneckVol View Post
                      So the verdict has been passed on Jack Jones already? Big Charles? Chance Hall? Does that apply to Richmond who isn't with the team yet but will be shortly?

I'm not saying there isn't huge room for improvement from our starting OL...I'm just trying to see how far the psychic assumption goes.
                      Not talking about FR who haven't entered a game. Rarely can they play at a better than average SEC OL level- which Robertson barely met last year. If you are going to win in the SEC your 3rd to 5th year OL just HAVE to perform at a high level.

Comment

Not talking about FR who haven't entered a game. Rarely can they play at a better than average SEC OL level- which Robertson barely met last year. If you are going to win in the SEC your 3rd to 5th year OL just HAVE to perform at a high level.
                        We had at least one OL on one of our good teams in the 90's that was very young....might have been Bubba Miller's RS freshman year. Of course what you're saying is generally true.

That said, anyone who has watched what Chance Hall has done and doesn't think he is a future mauler needs a checkup from the neck up.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the overall theme that we can all agree with is it takes a seasoned OL to be successful. Even when we were very good we might play A freshmen or an inexperienced RS freshmen but never a whole line of inexperience and freshmen linemen. That is a recipe for disaster and it was last year. That development process is why it will take longer to rebuild the OL than any other position.

Comment

Originally posted by InspectorVol View Post
                            I think the overall theme that we can all agree with is it takes a seasoned OL to be successful. Even when we were very good we might play A freshmen or an inexperienced RS freshmen but never a whole line of inexperience and freshmen linemen. That is a recipe for disaster and it was last year. That development process is why it will take longer to rebuild the OL than any other position.
                            Agree.....I'd like for us to get some big bad uglies that are 3 stars and just want to whip some ass. You get 5 star or high 4 star o lineman and they will want to be gone in 3 years if they are good enough and you just about need to play them early. If you RS them then you get 2 years out of them max.

We need to follow the Mizzou pattern on OLmen IMO.

Comment

here is where all this "development" talk falls short. Both Krebs and Crowder will be 5th years seniors and neither is what you would call "great" or even "good" based on what we have seen. Be it out of position or whatever ... doesn't really matter, They got abused last year in their FOURTH year in the program.

Point being ... yeah you need development ... but yeah ... you REALLY need talent first and foremost.

I will say that both those guys suffered from having different systems and coaches and turnover and that that hurt them ... and they very well may come out and play like all SEC OL this fall AS FITH YEAR SENIORS.... but I wouldn't count on it. they have had every opportunity to "develop" ... so if they aren't SEC quality at this then it's on them and their fundamental ability to even be a beast stud OL.

Comment

I haven't watched Hall

Originally posted by BrassVols View Post
                                We had at least one OL on one of our good teams in the 90's that was very young....might have been Bubba Miller's RS freshman year. Of course what you're saying is generally true.

That said, anyone who has watched what Chance Hall has done and doesn't think he is a future mauler needs a checkup from the neck up.
                                Or anyone for that matter but to play devils advocate on you some:

1) Do you not remember Biggers or Reid winning players of the spring awards? Or numerous others who never went on to play in the fall. You are saying "what Hall has done" when you are talking about the 15-20 days of Spring Practice as your talking point.

2) Wasn't Hall playing against 2nd and 3rd team DL in Spring Practice? And didn't Dobbs and the QB's have on Non Contact jerseys which certainly will make OL look better if the DL can't blast thru them into the QB.

3) You also were one of the biggest rash rash guys on KiffTards recruiting. KiffTards 2009 recruiting class has/had exactly 1 guy play in the NFL and that was Bryce Brown (and he played at UT for one year before transferring). So do you need a checkup from the neck up on evaluating guys who haven't played a down yet?

Comment

Your comments on Crowder are simply wrong. You are not watching the position. He is a top SEC caliber Center who last year put into a totally new offensive line where everyone was new and had to work/learn to play together. Everyone who has football intelligence knew this last year. And if you REALLY would have watched the Spring Game it was actually a stunt between the DE and DT and the right side guard Robertson didn't pick it up. You need to pay closer attention or learn some OL responsibilities before you post this kind of stuff. Truthfully from your posts you really have no idea about our blocking scheme. Our 5th Year starting Center was the 6th lineman two years in a row behind 4 NFL linemen and is a Leader on the Team now - As others have mentioned folks like you got REAL HUSH whenever Crowder went down in the Kentucky game (lol). Without Crowder on the field we never would have won the South Carolina game last year. Timing of the snap is too important and if coaches listened to guys like you who hide whenever the Center's snap timing or snap accuracy goes bad. Simply put, You would be fired!
                                  Last edited by alienadvilery; May 5, 2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alienadvilery View Post
                                    Your comments on Crowder are simply wrong. You are not watching the position. He is a top SEC caliber Center who last year put into a totally new offensive line where everyone was new and had to work/learn to play together. Everyone who has football intelligence knew this last year. And if you REALLY would have watched the Spring Game it was actually a stunt between the DE and DT and the right side guard Robertson didn't pick it up. You need to pay closer attention or learn some OL responsibilities before you post this kind of stuff. Truthfully from your posts you really have no idea about our blocking scheme. Our 5th Year starting Center was the 6th lineman two years in a row behind 4 NFL linemen and is a Leader on the Team now - As others have mentioned folks like you got REAL HUSH whenever Crowder went down in the Kentucky game (lol). Without Crowder on the field we never would have won the South Carolina game last year. Timing of the snap is too important and if coaches listened to guys like you who hide whenever the Center's snap timing or snap accuracy goes bad. Simply put, You would be fired!
                                    Post more often.

T-A-P Out!

Comment

Yes, that was an excellent first post.
                                      Why can't we all just get along?

Comment

Ouch, the dreader lurker pwn.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X