And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
    We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
    I'm gonna cross that river
    I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
    A sad day. A lot of the greats are leaving us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Saw them in Chicago a few years ago. Just fantastic. Still. RetiredVol is a huge fan. RIP Dusty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Sad day, I lived not too far from his house over by San Leon. Great band, never got a chance to see them in concert. RIP Dusty, Heaven got a bass player.

Comment

Oh no! Man, ZZ Top was a band I never got to see. Just watched the Netflix doc about them a year or so ago.

Little known fact: he was Hank Hill’s cousin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by egbert View Post
            Oh no! Man, ZZ Top was a band I never got to see. Just watched the Netflix doc about them a year or so ago.

Little known fact: he was Hank Hill’s cousin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            ZZ Top, Skynyrd, and the CDB still holds the record for attendance at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum back in the festival seating days. One of the best concert memories of my younger days.

Any guesses who the headliner was that night?
            Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
            Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Originally posted by ChattanoogaVol View Post
              Saw them in Chicago a few years ago. Just fantastic. Still. RetiredVol is a huge fan. RIP Dusty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
              Speaking of Dusty and Chicago ..........

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Saw the little ole band from Texas for the 1st time in the early 70’s in Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by humbletx View Post

Saw the little ole band from Texas for the 1st time in the early 70’s in Hawaii
                  I was fortunate to see them more times that I can even begin to count. Great live band. Always gave the paying fans their money's worth. Always.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

He was such a unique dude. When ZZ Top took time off of touring he went incognito and worked at the airport for a year in baggage claim I think it was. If you haven’t seen the documentary on them you should.
                    Elvis said find em young and Fred said old fashion girls are fun

Comment

I was fortunate to see them more times that I can even begin to count. Great live band. Always gave the paying fans their money's worth. Always.
                      The same here - IIRC the 1st I saw them they were the opening act for The Rolling Stones - blew the Stones off the stage in the 70’s

They loved where they were from - and they never backed off their H-town roots. Always gave the Texas haters a reason to not hate Texas for awhile.

Losing Dusty may, or will, be the end off this lil’ band from Texas. Billy has ventured out, Frank & Dusty didn’t give a shit.

Replacing Dusty?

Comment

Originally posted by humbletx View Post

The same here - IIRC the 1st I saw them they were the opening act for The Rolling Stones - blew the Stones off the stage in the 70’s

They loved where they were from - and they never backed off their H-town roots. Always gave the Texas haters a reason to not hate Texas for awhile.

Losing Dusty may, or will, be the end off this lil’ band from Texas. Billy has ventured out, Frank & Dusty didn’t give a shit.

Replacing Dusty?
                        Yep. 4 of the times I saw them live was in Texas - Billy Bob's. Waco, and Austin twice. They loved their home state.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Yep. 4 of the times I saw them live was in Texas - Billy Bob's. Waco, and Austin twice. They loved their home state.
                          memphis was their second home for a long time, lots of work done at ardent studios. in the mid 80's i was a waiter, waited on dusty and his lady friend. i'll never forget the sour cream in his beard, and it was also the first time i saw an amex black card.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymajorscoat View Post

memphis was their second home for a long time, lots of work done at ardent studios. in the mid 80's i was a waiter, waited on dusty and his lady friend. i'll never forget the sour cream in his beard, and it was also the first time i saw an amex black card.
                            Have you seen the doc/indie film on Big Star and Alex Chilton?

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Pickens View Post

Where can I find this?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by rosefeathers View Post

Where can I find this?

I stumbled upon it one day and watched the whole thing.

Watch Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me | Prime Video (amazon.com)

Comment

i saw one a while back, not sure if it's the same one. REM was in this one, mike mills in particular i think was a big star fan. chris bell's sister owns Mortimer's restaurant here, it's a good pub grub place, plate lunches, very popular. she's got an entire wall dedicated to big star...worth a visit if you are ever in town.
                                  Last edited by johnnymajorscoat; July 29, 2021, 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My first job was at a Big Star….doesn’t really apply to this thread but memories for me.

RIP Dusty.

Comment

I stumbled upon it one day and watched the whole thing.

Watch Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me | Prime Video (amazon.com)
                                      I tried to post this in the other post but wouldn’t go in…

Comment

Originally posted by FLAVOLS View Post

My first job was at a Big Star….doesn’t really apply to this thread but memories for me.

RIP Dusty.
                                        it does apply. they took their name from the grocery store...at highland and summer if i'm not mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                                        X