Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Dusty Hill

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    RIP Dusty Hill

    Dead at age 72.


    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-obit-1203694/

    Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
    Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
    And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
    We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren


    Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP


    I'm gonna live forever
    I'm gonna cross that river
    I'm gonna catch tomorrow now


    Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

    #2
    Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
    A sad day. A lot of the greats are leaving us.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
      Saw them in Chicago a few years ago. Just fantastic. Still. RetiredVol is a huge fan. RIP Dusty.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #4
        Sad day, I lived not too far from his house over by San Leon. Great band, never got a chance to see them in concert. RIP Dusty, Heaven got a bass player.

        Comment


          #5
          Oh no! Man, ZZ Top was a band I never got to see. Just watched the Netflix doc about them a year or so ago.

          Little known fact: he was Hank Hill’s cousin.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by egbert View Post
            Oh no! Man, ZZ Top was a band I never got to see. Just watched the Netflix doc about them a year or so ago.

            Little known fact: he was Hank Hill’s cousin.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            ZZ Top, Skynyrd, and the CDB still holds the record for attendance at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum back in the festival seating days. One of the best concert memories of my younger days.

            Any guesses who the headliner was that night?
            Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
            Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
            And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
            We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren


            Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP


            I'm gonna live forever
            I'm gonna cross that river
            I'm gonna catch tomorrow now


            Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ChattanoogaVol View Post
              Saw them in Chicago a few years ago. Just fantastic. Still. RetiredVol is a huge fan. RIP Dusty.

              Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
              Speaking of Dusty and Chicago ..........

              Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
              Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
              And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
              We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren


              Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP


              I'm gonna live forever
              I'm gonna cross that river
              I'm gonna catch tomorrow now


              Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
                Saw the little ole band from Texas for the 1st time in the early 70’s in Hawaii

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by humbletx View Post

                  Saw the little ole band from Texas for the 1st time in the early 70’s in Hawaii
                  I was fortunate to see them more times that I can even begin to count. Great live band. Always gave the paying fans their money's worth. Always.
                  Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
                  Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
                  And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
                  We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren


                  Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP


                  I'm gonna live forever
                  I'm gonna cross that river
                  I'm gonna catch tomorrow now


                  Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

                  Comment


                    #10
                    He was such a unique dude. When ZZ Top took time off of touring he went incognito and worked at the airport for a year in baggage claim I think it was. If you haven’t seen the documentary on them you should.
                    Elvis said find em young and Fred said old fashion girls are fun

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post

                      I was fortunate to see them more times that I can even begin to count. Great live band. Always gave the paying fans their money's worth. Always.
                      The same here - IIRC the 1st I saw them they were the opening act for The Rolling Stones - blew the Stones off the stage in the 70’s

                      They loved where they were from - and they never backed off their H-town roots. Always gave the Texas haters a reason to not hate Texas for awhile.

                      Losing Dusty may, or will, be the end off this lil’ band from Texas. Billy has ventured out, Frank & Dusty didn’t give a shit.

                      Replacing Dusty?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by humbletx View Post

                        The same here - IIRC the 1st I saw them they were the opening act for The Rolling Stones - blew the Stones off the stage in the 70’s

                        They loved where they were from - and they never backed off their H-town roots. Always gave the Texas haters a reason to not hate Texas for awhile.

                        Losing Dusty may, or will, be the end off this lil’ band from Texas. Billy has ventured out, Frank & Dusty didn’t give a shit.

                        Replacing Dusty?
                        Yep. 4 of the times I saw them live was in Texas - Billy Bob's. Waco, and Austin twice. They loved their home state.
                        Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
                        Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
                        And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
                        We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren


                        Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP


                        I'm gonna live forever
                        I'm gonna cross that river
                        I'm gonna catch tomorrow now


                        Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post

                          Yep. 4 of the times I saw them live was in Texas - Billy Bob's. Waco, and Austin twice. They loved their home state.
                          memphis was their second home for a long time, lots of work done at ardent studios. in the mid 80's i was a waiter, waited on dusty and his lady friend. i'll never forget the sour cream in his beard, and it was also the first time i saw an amex black card.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by johnnymajorscoat View Post

                            memphis was their second home for a long time, lots of work done at ardent studios. in the mid 80's i was a waiter, waited on dusty and his lady friend. i'll never forget the sour cream in his beard, and it was also the first time i saw an amex black card.
                            Have you seen the doc/indie film on Big Star and Alex Chilton?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Carl Pickens View Post

                              Have you seen the doc/indie film on Big Star and Alex Chilton?
                              Where can I find this?


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by rosefeathers View Post

                                Where can I find this?


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I stumbled upon it one day and watched the whole thing.

                                Watch Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me | Prime Video (amazon.com)

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Carl Pickens View Post

                                  Have you seen the doc/indie film on Big Star and Alex Chilton?
                                  i saw one a while back, not sure if it's the same one. REM was in this one, mike mills in particular i think was a big star fan. chris bell's sister owns Mortimer's restaurant here, it's a good pub grub place, plate lunches, very popular. she's got an entire wall dedicated to big star...worth a visit if you are ever in town.
                                  Last edited by johnnymajorscoat; July 29, 2021, 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by Carl Pickens View Post

                                    Have you seen the doc/indie film on Big Star and Alex Chilton?
                                    My first job was at a Big Star….doesn’t really apply to this thread but memories for me.

                                    RIP Dusty.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Carl Pickens View Post

                                      I stumbled upon it one day and watched the whole thing.

                                      Watch Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me | Prime Video (amazon.com)
                                      I tried to post this in the other post but wouldn’t go in…

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by FLAVOLS View Post

                                        My first job was at a Big Star….doesn’t really apply to this thread but memories for me.

                                        RIP Dusty.
                                        it does apply. they took their name from the grocery store...at highland and summer if i'm not mistaken.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X