Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any other kind of cornbread, other than that cooked in cast iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any other kind of cornbread, other than that cooked in cast iron?

Reading the steak thread, it dawned on me, that I've never had cornbread but cooked in a cast iron skillet. My grandmother had a relatively thin, round bottom 'pan' that came (I think) from their time in Santo Domingo. It never had to be greased and it cooked lovely evenly. My mother (never a cook or even close to one) threw it away when she cleared her parents house, "it was old".
    I even cook my cornmeal pancakes on a cast iron skillet.
    Not to mention the corn cob shaped cornbread in the classic molds.

I've never wandered into adulterated cornbreads with peppers or corn niblets added. Never felt they were needed. Just butter or beef gravy (or sinfully both).

My wife uses a cast iron skillet for cornbread. She has one that is solely for cornbread.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
      Reading the steak thread, it dawned on me, that I've never had cornbread but cooked in a cast iron skillet. My grandmother had a relatively thin, round bottom 'pan' that came (I think) from their time in Santo Domingo. It never had to be greased and it cooked lovely evenly. My mother (never a cook or even close to one) threw it away when she cleared her parents house, "it was old".

I've never wandered into adulterated cornbreads with peppers or corn niblets added. Never felt they were needed. Just butter or beef gravy (or sinfully both).
      Those corn cob molds are great….I need to ask my mother for hers since I don’t think she uses it anymore.

Comment

My wife uses a cast iron skillet all the time....also got the cast iron molds for stick and corn cob cornbread.

And turf...we are the same...no peppers or any kind of fluff...just seasoned cornbread.

Edit...If you want a good quick cornbread and don't have time for homemade use Jiffy Mix....it's good.

Last edited by Tnphil; October 13, 2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post

Short answer, no. To me, nothing cooks cornbread like cast iron. I have tried metal non-stick 8" cake pans, Pyrex casserole dishes, Corningware, and even in a Dutch oven over coals, and mine turns out best in CI.

I was excited to see that Martha White started making Three Rivers Cornmeal mix again. Almost as good as it used to be.

The only variation is I have made jalapeño cornbread, but like Ms. Turf said, I don't think cornbread needs anything. It's good on its own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, here's a secret, of sorts. The reason Puleo's cheese grits were so good was that the grits were always fresh. From the mill to Puleo's they were refrigerated until they were cooked up. I think his came from South Carolina.
            This ties to corn bread, because I tried a cornmeal mix from Linney's Mill over in North Carolina. They mill it and sell it. I first bought it at Benton Bacon down near Madisonville. I then found that it's available in Knoxville at Pratt's Country Store at the intersection of Jacksboro Pike and Tazewell Pike. I buy it and it goes into my refrigerator. The bags are labeled with the date they were milled. I think the freshness of the milling makes a difference.
            Now to find a source for their grits.

http://www.linneysmill.com/Products.html

Comment

Ive found a glass Pyrex dish bakes mine the best. I do not know why, but I get an even bake with it. It seems that the cast iron tends to get it too dark on the bottom for my taste, and I struggle getting the middle done. Now, all that being said, I haven’t made regular cornbread in years, my ex wife loved a variation of my Mexican cornbread made with sweet and hot banana peppers, cheese and creamed corn. That is probably why the Pyrex does a better job iwabh.

Comment

Originally posted by nasavol View Post
                Ive found a glass Pyrex dish bakes mine the best. I do not know why, but I get an even bake with it. It seems that the cast iron tends to get it too dark on the bottom for my taste, and I struggle getting the middle done. Now, all that being said, I haven’t made regular cornbread in years, my ex wife loved a variation of my Mexican cornbread made with sweet and hot banana peppers, cheese and creamed corn. That is probably why the Pyrex does a better job iwabh.
                My Mam-maw used to make Mexican cornbread and cracklin cornbread, too, and I’d get mad that it had stuff in it. Her cast iron skillet went to my dad, then us. That thing weighs 87 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                It ain't nothing for me to whoop a man's ass...you might have heard of me.

IT'S A DAMN OIL FILTER, I bought it off of ye fair and square, you said it was a good 'un.

That's chickenshit just like you and ye damn business.

Comment

Nope, there isn't. Any other cornbread is fake cornbread.
                  Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
                  Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
                  And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
                  We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
                  I'm gonna cross that river
                  I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Working...
                  X