TJB, went to Ace Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TJB, went to Ace Hardware

Site, and saw where they stopped carrying a big portion of the Kosmos Q line. Basically they are only going to carry the wing dust and a couple BBQ sauces. Kinda sucks, I could drive down there and pick it up and save shipping charges.

Any other top shelf rubs that you use?

Oakridge

Comment

Originally posted by nasavol View Post
      Site, and saw where they stopped carrying a big portion of the Kosmos Q line. Basically they are only going to carry the wing dust and a couple BBQ sauces. Kinda sucks, I could drive down there and pick it up and save shipping charges.

Yep - all ordered from Maceo’s in Galveston

Comment

Originally posted by nasavol View Post

Well, damn. I don't blame ACE, as they are known to discontinue products that aren't selling, so that is understandable. You can still find Kosmo Q's online at their website. Worth it even if you have to pay shipping, imo. Maybe Kosmo's just stopped distribution to retailers. Who knows.

Here's a list of rubs I have used and still do along with their sources. I probably have most of these on hand all.the time as they are my go-to rubs.

***This will be a lengthy post.***

Check out The BBQ Superstore and Big Poppa Smokers websites. Both have great products that might cost you shipping, but sometimes they have a buy X quantity OR a minimum dollar amount for free shipping.

Sweet Swine of Mine Distributing. Good folks there. They have a great selection of rubs, sauces, cookers and accessories. Same goes for Big Poppa Smokers.

- Plowboys Yardbird. Available locally at Bass Pro and maybe Academy as well as online. The label says "created for chicken but made for pork". Great on everything. Little sweet, little salty and a tiny bit of pepper spice. My go-to rub for everything.

- Head Country. Local to my area at Houston's in Mt. Juliet and online. I use this for chicken and on deep fried turkeys at Thanksgiving. I go through 2-3 lbs. every year for the 8-12 turkeys that I deep fry for others. Good all around rub with some salt and an herb-y note. Not real spicy. Great on chicken from boneless breasts to wings.

- Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub. Sweet with a good bit of heat at the end. Good on ribs and pork butts. Available online.

- Sweet Swine of Mine. Sweet with a little heat. Great on ribs and pork chops. Online from several retailers, including sweet swine of mine website.

- Meat Church The Gospel. This is the next rub I will try, because several friends use it and swear by it.

-Operation BBQ Relief All Purpose. Right out of the bottle, this is a little more herby than I like for anything but chicken, but it cooks down and gives steaks & burgers that wow factor that people wonder what you did to get that flavor. Available @ Lowe's and $1 from every bottle goes to OBR. I know the CEO and I have volunteered and cooked with OBR when they were here in Nashville last March for the tornado clean up. I will volunteer with OBR again if I have vacation time and they are deployed for disaster relief. Fantastic organization that provides hot cooked meals for first responders and victims of disasters.

The BBQ Rub and AP(All purpose) from Killer Hogs BBQ. The BBQ Rub is a little sweet, yet balanced between pepper, spice and salt. Good on everything, especially combined with the AP Rub. This is basically a SPG (salt, pepper and garlic) that I prefer for steaks, burgers and brisket and as a base rub for competition brisket and butts.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Available locally at Publix, Sam's, Compton's Foodland in Priest Lake,, etc.. This one seems to cause a love it or hate it reaction, but in context this rub has its place and I like it on everything from meats to mac & cheese. I keep a small bottle at work and I put it on almost everything I have for lunch, especially leftovers and even on a salad. It has no sugar, and gets its heat from Chipotle pepper. Great on chops and wings, and I like it for a base rub on butts and ribs, and then add a sweet rub to layer flavors. That's a competition trick but will impress your family and friends. Apply one rub, wait 15 minutes or so, then add a contrasting rub. Byron is a friend of mine and a good guy too.

You can also get a good SPG rub from Gordon Food Service (GFS) stores called Garlic Pepper Seasoning . I use this one as my primary brisket rub, as it has a touch of sweet in it and it is great on beef ribs also. Not expensive as rubs go and it's on my way home from work. They also have good, consistent quality meats and charcoal, even if they don't have the cheapest prices.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tnjimbob; July 25, 2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

tnjimbob, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tnjimbob View Post

Well, damn. I don't blame ACE, as they are known to discontinue products that aren't selling, so that is understandable. You can still find Kosmo Q's online at their website. Worth it even if you have to pay shipping, imo. Maybe Kosmo's just stopped distribution to retailers. Who knows.

Here's a list of rubs I have used and still do along with their sources. I probably have most of these on hand all.the time as they are my go-to rubs.

***This will be a lengthy post.***

Check out The BBQ Superstore and Big Poppa Smokers websites. Both have great products that might cost you shipping, but sometimes they have a buy X quantity OR a minimum dollar amount for free shipping.

Sweet Swine of Mine Distributing. Good folks there. They have a great selection of rubs, sauces, cookers and accessories. Same goes for Big Poppa Smokers.

- Plowboys Yardbird. Available locally at Bass Pro and maybe Academy as well as online. The label says "created for chicken but made for pork". Great on everything. Little sweet, little salty and a tiny bit of pepper spice. My go-to rub for everything.

- Head Country. Local to my area at Houston's in Mt. Juliet and online. I use this for chicken and on deep fried turkeys at Thanksgiving. I go through 2-3 lbs. every year for the 8-12 turkeys that I deep fry for others. Good all around rub with some salt and an herb-y note. Not real spicy. Great on chicken from boneless breasts to wings.

- Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub. Sweet with a good bit of heat at the end. Good on ribs and pork butts. Available online.

- Sweet Swine of Mine. Sweet with a little heat. Great on ribs and pork chops. Online from several retailers, including sweet swine of mine website.

- Meat Church The Gospel. This is the next rub I will try, because several friends use it and swear by it.

-Operation BBQ Relief All Purpose. Right out of the bottle, this is a little more herby than I like for anything but chicken, but it cooks down and gives steaks & burgers that wow factor that people wonder what you did to get that flavor. Available @ Lowe's and $1 from every bottle goes to OBR. I know the CEO and I have volunteered and cooked with OBR when they were here in Nashville last March for the tornado clean up. I will volunteer with OBR again if I have vacation time and they are deployed for disaster relief. Fantastic organization that provides hot cooked meals for first responders and victims of disasters.

The BBQ Rub and AP(All purpose) from Killer Hogs BBQ. The BBQ Rub is a little sweet, yet balanced between pepper, spice and salt. Good on everything, especially combined with the AP Rub. This is basically a SPG (salt, pepper and garlic) that I prefer for steaks, burgers and brisket and as a base rub for competition brisket and butts.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Available locally at Publix, Sam's, Compton's Foodland in Priest Lake,, etc.. This one seems to cause a love it or hate it reaction, but in context this rub has its place and I like it on everything from meats to mac & cheese. I keep a small bottle at work and I put it on almost everything I have for lunch, especially leftovers and even on a salad. It has no sugar, and gets its heat from Chipotle pepper. Great on chops and wings, and I like it for a base rub on butts and ribs, and then add a sweet rub to layer flavors. That's a competition trick but will impress your family and friends. Apply one rub, wait 15 minutes or so, then add a contrasting rub. Byron is a friend of mine and a good guy too.

You can also get a good SPG rub from Gordon Food Service (GFS) stores called Garlic Pepper Seasoning . I use this one as my primary brisket rub, as it has a touch of sweet in it and it is great on beef ribs also. Not expensive as rubs go and it's on my way home from work. They also have good, consistent quality meats and charcoal, even if they don't have the cheapest prices.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great list TJB.

Meat Church Honey Hog is supposed to be good too and I will be looking for it at Academy or Ace soon.

Also Killer Hogs gets a lot of good reviews and will try it as well.

Comment

Working...
            X