pellet grill recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pellet grill recommendations

I sold my kamado grill over the weekend and will be purchasing a pellet grill in the near future. I've looked at Green Mountain, RecTeq, Camp Chef, Weber, Pit Boss, and of course Traeger. I want a set it and forget it smoking experience, and if something needs adjusting I want the ability to do it remotely via an app. What it has narrowed town to for me now is who's app is the best because I cannot believe there is significant differences otherwise. Pit Boss grills seem solid, but their app far and away gets the worst reviews. The rest seem fairly even. It seems logical the biggest manufacturers in this category, Weber and Traeger, would have the most resources for app development, but I would like first hand attestations. Does anyone have a good experience with any of the pellet grill apps that might sway my decision?

TIA and GBO

You’ve hit on all the big ones. I mentioned on TOS that I am more interested in the gravity fed charcoal grills like the Masterbuilt than I am a pellet grill. I just love the flavor from charcoal too much to give it up. I’m sure the others are good but just not exactly what I’m looking for yet.

Comment

I have the Bullseye so no WiFi on it. I traded off the WiFi capabilities for the high temps, so, no help from me on that. Seems like I saw something on the Camp Chef models. I wouldn’t think there is a whole lot of difference in what they could do.

Comment

I've only owned RecTec and Traeger, and I sold both before wifi cooking was a thing, so I can't speak to that. However, I did enjoy the set and forget convenience of pellet cooking, and I like sleeping rather than tending a fire overnight.

They both made great BBQ and were fairly well built. RecTec has hands down the best customer service of any company I've personally dealt with. Any issue I had, questions for their tech support, upgrades, etc. were handled promptly and beyond my satisfaction every time. They have even taken care of my friend that I sold my RecTec to back in 2017.

My Traeger was good, but their older controllers allowed wider temp swings than the more precise controller from RecTec which held temps closer to the set temp. They have improved since then.

However, a butt doesn't care about 60° temp swings, so it's more about learning the cooker and how long different meats take to cook than it is about precise temps.

I got to do a demo cook for ACE Hardware in 2019 and cooked on a new Traeger. Their quality has improved over the one I had, and I would recommend their new grills as well as RecTec. I have friends with Pit Boss cookers that they are happy with so far, and I have known folks that were pleased with Green Mountain also, so let your wallet and wifi apps be your guide.

I will suggest that if you ever have the possibility of cooking for any group larger than your immediate family, get one size larger than you think you'll need. Pellet grills are so efficient that they won't use much more fuel cooking one slab of ribs or one butt than several slabs or a few butts.

So TJB, why did you sell your pellet grills if you are singing their praises?

I wanted to go back to cooking with charcoal and wood, and I got scared at a BBQ comp once when my pellet grill kept popping a breaker and I had to get it going with hand sanitizer to keep it running. I bought a BBQ Guru temp controller for my two larger smokers, so I have the best of both worlds - set it and forget it convenience and steady temp control.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

To TJB’s point on the RecTec grills, I cannot complain about the build quality on this thing. It looks to be 10 ga stainless on the firebox, which is pretty nice. Mine is the same size as a Weber Performer, so things like the grill grates are interchangeable, and I upgraded to a heavy cast iron grate, I’ll throw a pic here for reference.

I tell everyone I know that these pellet grills are the best thing since sliced bread, I wish I had gotten one a lot sooner. If I was going to go the charcoal route like FLA, I believe I’d go with the Big Green Egg and get the small control fan for it to help with temp control.

Anyways, have fun and get to smoking, I’m looking for some ideas from everyone.

Popa, check your messages, I sent you a PM on another subject

Updated grate below
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Just have to point out that some of us (ahem) are so old that the idea of a grill having wi-fi to control it is humorous.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
              Just have to point out that some of us (ahem) are so old that the idea of a grill having wi-fi to control it is humorous.
              A. Men, sister. Just don't want to get in to that world. Way too old school for that. Remember that I am a guy who just "traded up" from my 35 year old bullet smoker to a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.
              Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
              Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
              And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
              We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
              I'm gonna cross that river
              I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

I’m very happy with my Traeger…..having the smoke tube supplements the smoke level….and I’m getting better and better at it. I would guess I’ve through about 180 pounds of pellets since the first of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Mine's Bigger

Comment

Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post

A. Men, sister. Just don't want to get in to that world. Way too old school for that. Remember that I am a guy who just "traded up" from my 35 year old bullet smoker to a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.
                  Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
                  LOL. I had to go into Walmart this week and decided to peruse their lawn and garden area and I was amazed at how many pellet grills they had on the floor assembled. I was thinking to myself…wow!, now any idiot can cook bbq with how automated everything is. And then I thought what a snob I am to think that. It’s great they are making gear now so everyone can make good bbq…not great maybe, but good.

Comment

Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post

I can probably find a Model T for you and RTF to drive while we are at it.

Comment

Originally posted by nasavol View Post

Sounds good to me.
                      Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
                      Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
                      And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
                      We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
                      I'm gonna cross that river
                      I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

At least you could work on it with basic hand tools.

Comment

I bought a Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Prime Plus last night at the new Costco in Mboro. It was $50 off the regular price on a grand opening special. Unfortunately, I will not be able to assemble it until July 31 because I leave for the beach first thing in the morning and have too much other shit to do after work today. The app gets middling reviews, but reading through them it sounds like most reviewers are not the least bit tech savvy or they're old as hell. Or both. Also, GMG has a good rep for customer service should something go wrong. In the end I could not refuse the price/size/quality combo, app be damned. Welcome me to extension cord cooking!

Comment

Originally posted by popacapinvtwelvesass View Post
                            I bought a Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Prime Plus last night at the new Costco in Mboro. It was $50 off the regular price on a grand opening special. Unfortunately, I will not be able to assemble it until July 31 because I leave for the beach first thing in the morning and have too much other shit to do after work today. The app gets middling reviews, but reading through them it sounds like most reviewers are not the least bit tech savvy or they're old as hell. Or both. Also, GMG has a good rep for customer service should something go wrong. In the end I could not refuse the price/size/quality combo, app be damned. Welcome me to extension cord cooking!
                            Best of luck, and if I can help, let me know.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

Comment

Great warranty too at Costco. That is my father’s new “home” Costco now.

Comment

Originally posted by tnjimbob View Post
                                Best of luck, and if I can help, let me know.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

Thanks tjb. I might make a trip to see Tommy at Houston’s to get something really good for my first smoke.

Comment

Thanks tjb. I might make a trip to see Tommy at Houston’s to get something really good for my first smoke.
                                  Tommy and his folks are great, and they have the best quality meats. Love their cheeseburgers too!

Comment

Originally posted by FLAVOLS View Post
                                    You’ve hit on all the big ones. I mentioned on TOS that I am more interested in the gravity fed charcoal grills like the Masterbuilt than I am a pellet grill. I just love the flavor from charcoal too much to give it up. I’m sure the others are good but just not exactly what I’m looking for yet.
                                    If you are going offset gravity or auger fed fuel with temp control, then the Masterbuilt or its new competitor Char Griller, are the way to go. Get charcoal as the fuel source but with a timer for temp control. Also can put in wood chunks of whatever wood you like to add more wood flavor. All the You Tube reviews say these two grills have more smoke flavor than the pellet grills.
                                    "INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaVol View Post

If you are going offset gravity or auger fed fuel with temp control, then the Masterbuilt or its new competitor Char Griller, are the way to go. Get charcoal as the fuel source but with a timer for temp control. Also can put in wood chunks of whatever wood you like to add more wood flavor. All the You Tube reviews say these two grills have more smoke flavor than the pellet grills.
                                      A quick video comparing the 2 gravity fed. Unfortunately he didn’t have the larger Masterbuilt to compare but still pretty good.

Comment

Does the sumbitch have wifi?

Comment

Working...
                                        X