OK all you Butt Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK all you Butt Smokers

I’ve smoked a ton of chickens and a couple turkeys, and grilled a lot. But, I’ve never done any long smokes. Food Lion had their butts on sale for $0.99/ lb so I thought I’d give some pulled pork a shot. Do I need to use any binder like mustard etc for the rub, or am I ok just to go straight on with the rub? Also, I wasn’t planning on injecting it, y’all’s thoughts? My little nurse is working some hellacious hours the next week and a half and she loves pulled pork, so I thought I’d fix her up some BBQ and surprise her.

Originally posted by nasavol View Post
    I’ve smoked a ton of chickens and a couple turkeys, and grilled a lot. But, I’ve never done any long smokes. Food Lion had their butts on sale for $0.99/ lb so I thought I’d give some pulled pork a shot. Do I need to use any binder like mustard etc for the rub, or am I ok just to go straight on with the rub? Also, I wasn’t planning on injecting it, y’all’s thoughts? My little nurse is working some hellacious hours the next week and a half and she loves pulled pork, so I thought I’d fix her up some BBQ and surprise her.
    I like plain old yellow mustard as a binder. I've never tasted it in the finished product. You can also use cooking oil, cooking spray and either works fine. All the binder does is help to adhere dry rub to the meat.

I never inject butts except for BBQ competition. I do put a butt in an aluminum foil half pan about half the cooking time to catch pan drippings and run that through a gravy separator, and add some pan drippings into the pulled pork. This adds flavor and keeps the meat from drying out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t inject butts….I do use mustard to help the rub stick yo the butt….you’re really ok either way. But it’s much easier to give them a thin coat of mustard. Fat side up…..get the internal temp up to 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mine's Bigger

Comment

There will be as many opinions as people you ask but I’ll just add the way I do it. I do a short brine—overnight with salt/apple cider vinegar/garlic/brown sugar /a few spices. On day of cook, a little good quality mustard rubbed in/on and then whatever your spice rub is. Everyone has their recipe. I may spritz a little with either apple cider or sweet tea, but I mostly put a drip tray with apple cider and onion/garlic and leave it alone. I wrap in butcher paper after about 180 degrees. Rest at least an hour after getting to 205. Shred it. Cry tears of joy when you eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by sangle wang View Post
          There will be as many opinions as people you ask but I’ll just add the way I do it. I do a short brine—overnight with salt/apple cider vinegar/garlic/brown sugar /a few spices. On day of cook, a little good quality mustard rubbed in/on and then whatever your spice rub is. Everyone has their recipe. I may spritz a little with either apple cider or sweet tea, but I mostly put a drip tray with apple cider and onion/garlic and leave it alone. I wrap in butcher paper after about 180 degrees. Rest at least an hour after getting to 205. Shred it. Cry tears of joy when you eat it.
          Hey bud, good to hear from you, been a minute or two.

Comment

Originally posted by tnjimbob View Post
            I like plain old yellow mustard as a binder. I've never tasted it in the finished product. You can also use cooking oil, cooking spray and either works fine. All the binder does is help to adhere dry rub to the meat.

I never inject butts except for BBQ competition. I do put a butt in an aluminum foil half pan about half the cooking time to catch pan drippings and run that through a gravy separator, and add some pan drippings into the pulled pork. This adds flavor and keeps the meat from drying out.

Mustard goes so well with pork anyway, it’s not a big deal if you did get a little flavor in the finished product. So 200 is the target temp, do you guys wrap and put in a cooler, or just wrap? And last question, do you put any liquid in your drip pan, or just leave it dry?

And thank you guys for the input, and I mean ALL of y’all
            I appreciate it.

Comment

Hey bud, good to hear from you, been a minute or two.
              Yeah. I’ve been recovering from getting my entire torso tattooed with Heupel’s portrait. Problem is I can’t tell if the swelling is me, the coach, or the tattoo.

Comment

Yeah. I’ve been recovering from getting my entire torso tattooed with Heupel’s portrait. Problem is I can’t tell if the swelling is me, the coach, or the tattoo.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Rub it a while…..you’ll figure it out

Mine's Bigger

Comment

Mustard goes so well with pork anyway, it’s not a big deal if you did get a little flavor in the finished product. So 200 is the target temp, do you guys wrap and put in a cooler, or just wrap? And last question, do you put any liquid in your drip pan, or just leave it dry?

I appreciate it.
                    This may seem personal….but I’m looking out for you…..are you sure she didn’t say she liked porked butt?

Mine's Bigger

Comment

I appreciate it.
                      I cook to 195-200°. More of a feel than actual temp.

Rest for 10-15 open in a pan or sitting in foil to stop the cooking process, then double wrap in foil cover with a Downy free towel and into an old cooler for two hours plus. Then pull. I use cheap cotton gloves from Harbor Freight covered with nitrile gloves because even after two hours they are still so hot you can't touch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post

This may seem personal….but I’m looking out for you…..are you sure she didn’t say she liked porked butt?

Lol, now that you mention it…

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post

I don’t inject butts….

There are actually several on here who can’t say that :-)

Comment

I never do a pork butt without a 24 hour brine, and I use yellow mustard as my rub binder.
                            Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
                            Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
                            And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
                            We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
                            I'm gonna cross that river
                            I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
                              I never do a pork butt without a 24 hour brine, and I use yellow mustard as my rub binder.
                              Wet or dry brine?

Comment

Originally posted by IncognitoDad View Post
                                I cook so many that brining is impossible for every one. I don't have time or fridge space to brine 4-8 butts at once, even though it does give a good result. It's fine if you like to brine them, but I add pan drippings and a vinegar sauce that I make after they are pulled to add some flavor.

Comment

Wet or dry brine?
                                  Wet.

I use a simple brine of equal parts of salt and brown sugar, peppercorns, apple juice, a bit of vinegar, chopped garlic, and a chopped onion.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Originally posted by tnjimbob View Post
                                    I cook so many that brining is impossible for every one. I don't have time or fridge space to brine 4-8 butts at once, even though it does give a good result. It's fine if you like to brine them, but I add pan drippings and a vinegar sauce that I make after they are pulled to add some flavor.

Fortunately I have a full size "beverage" fridge in my garage that I am able to use for that purpose. I have a couple of 5 gallon pickle buckets that I got from Firehouse Subs and have fit as many as three 8-9 pound butts in at a time to brine. I can get two of the buckets in my fridge at a time.

I generally wet brine both pork butts and turkey. Just had really good luck with that method.

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Working...
                                    X