Teres Major fillets and Hasselback taters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teres Major fillets and Hasselback taters

Found these great looking Teres Major fillets @ Houston's in Mt. Juliet and grilled them up with some Hasselback taters.

Had to wrap them for a while to get up to temp, but that and a rest made them turn out great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wish I had a real butcher around here that would do the work. It looks great. Do you mind saying how much you paid for it? Was it about half the price of a filet?

Comment

OK, I've never heard of that filet cut, but it (the one on the right at least) looks familiar but not with shoulder. Going to have to look that one up on a good beef site.
      I know the potato, and how you cut it, it looks cooked in a bit of oil maybe wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill for a while, or am I totally wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by FLAVOLS View Post
        I wish I had a real butcher around here that would do the work. It looks great. Do you mind saying how much you paid for it? Was it about half the price of a filet?
        They were $9.99/lb., about $8 less per lb. than ribeye.

I hope that meat production will ramp back up so prices will come down.

Houston's has always had good quality for a fairly reasonable price compared to other butchers. I don't mind paying more for quality, but when choice brisket is damn near $5 per lb., it's hard to justify.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
          OK, I've never heard of that filet cut, but it (the one on the right at least) looks familiar but not with shoulder. Going to have to look that one up on a good beef site.
          I know the potato, and how you cut it, it looks cooked in a bit of oil maybe wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill for a while, or am I totally wrong?
          Teres Major is part of the sirloin, about the size of a pork tenderloin. If you look carefully at the package pic, you can see where two pieces of the fillet are put edge to edge, wrapped in bacon and held together with toothpicks. This site says that Teres Major is second only to the beef tenderloin in tenderness and it was very tender indeed.

https://www.france44cheeseshop.com/b...he-teres-major

I brushed the potatoes with peanut oil and sprinkled with kosher salt. After about 30 minutes, I brushed them with melted butter, a clove of garlic, some Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. I cook them on a Lodge fajita skillet so the melted butter won't flare up.

Comment

Thank you. Any idea how much silverskin has to be removed from an entire teres major? I hadn't thought of using that lodge fajita skillet to protect veggies from ignition- brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
              Thank you. Any idea how much silverskin has to be removed from an entire teres major? I hadn't thought of using that lodge fajita skillet to protect veggies from ignition- brilliant.
              No idea as I've never had to trim one.

Usually they are a part of the shoulder clod, a large primal cut that requires a lot to break down into individual cuts. I would imagine there is a lot of silver skin to be removed.

That $5 Lodge fajita skillet from Goodwill has been a gift that keeps giving. I use it on the grill for lots of things.

Comment

Did you slice the potatoes in the beginning or half way through?

Comment

Originally posted by westnvol View Post
                  I can answer this TJM…
                  Slice in the beginning. There is a trick where you can place two wooden utensils on either side of the potato and cut down and let the utensils stop the knife.

Im just happy to know something…

Comment

Originally posted by westnvol View Post
                    At the beginning. Also sliced a thin piece off the bottom so they would sit level and not roll.

Comment

Originally posted by nasavol View Post

I can answer this TJM…
                      Slice in the beginning. There is a trick where you can place two wooden utensils on either side of the potato and cut down and let the utensils stop the knife.

Im just happy to know something…
                      You are on point.

I keep a couple of dollar store wooden spoons with small round handles for this purpose.

Comment

For any of you that has ever had the club steak a a Demos restaurant, you have had Teres Major.

Comment

Working...
                        X