Lol learned a valuable lesson on my pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol learned a valuable lesson on my pellet grill

Make sure to clean out the drip pan before each cook. I forgot and proceeded to have a massive grease fire. Unfortunately, my burgers didn’t make it. And no, you sadistic bastards, I have no pics.

Yep...I had that happen recently.....thankfully the garden hose was nearby and I had the flameout under control pretty quickly. The water that didn't turn to steam ran out the side vent into that cute little bucket that hangs off the side so nothing was damaged. It was a hell of a fire, as I'd just smoked a butt and a chuck roast for 12 hours the day prior.
    Mine's Bigger

Comment

I unplugged it and closed the lid, it smothered itself out. I had done those meatloafs a couple days back. The good thing is my grates are burned off now...
      Last edited by nasavol; April 10, 2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasavol View Post
        I unplugged it and closed the lid, it smothered itself out. I had done those meatloafs a couple days back. The good thing is mr grates are burned off now...
        Didn’t hurt the living room did it? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by sgvolfan View Post

Didn’t hurt the living room did it? ;-)
          Smoked it. Lol

Comment

#RIPBurgers
            Pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
            Makin' the same mistakes, we swore we'd never make again
            And we're pissin' in the wind, but it's blowing on all our friends
            We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

I'm gonna live forever
            I'm gonna cross that river
            I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

Billy Joe Shaver, RIP

Comment

Dang, guys. Didn't anyone ever threaten to fail you in High School Home Ec when you poured water on a grease fire?
              Smother, smother, smother!

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
                Dang, guys. Didn't anyone ever threaten to fail you in High School Home Ec when you poured water on a grease fire?
                In all fairness RTF, I did smother mine out. OB on the other hand....

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
                  It wasn't in the kitchen and I was three or four feet away from the grill. I've been "watering grills" for probably 35 years when the need arose. AND my burgers didn't turn out like charcoal briquets...they were just right. Had I been in the kitchen....different story......
                  Mine's Bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post

It wasn't in the kitchen and I was three or four feet away from the grill. I've been "watering grills" for probably 35 years when the need arose. AND my burgers didn't turn out like charcoal briquets...they were just right. Had I been in the kitchen....different story......
                    I keep a spray bottle handy by the grill to spray those little grease fires.

Comment

Originally posted by sgvolfan View Post

I keep a spray bottle handy by the grill to spray those little grease fires.
                      I'll do that....this is the first time I've had a fire in the pellet grill. Nasa's right....the best thing to do is just keep that drip plate clean....I'd let a good bit of stuff accumulate and I had it wide open cooking burgers.
                      Mine's Bigger

Comment

I'll do that....this is the first time I've had a fire in the pellet grill. Nasa's right....the best thing to do is just keep that drip plate clean....I'd let a good bit of stuff accumulate and I had it wide open cooking burgers.
                        I had this thing in “riot” mode, it was about 700*. I have a fire extinguisher, but just smothered it. RTF does have a good point though, probably shouldn’t throw water on a raging fire. I didn’t know it was on fire, I put those burgers on and hobbled inside to get a beer, came back out and thought I’d peek at them. I opened the lid and it looked like something off Backdraft. I swear I saw the Devil in there. Closed the lid, and unplugged it to stop the fan. And OB was right, they looked exactly like little charcoal briquettes. It took me about 2 hours yesterday to clean all the soot off of it.
                        Last edited by nasavol; April 11, 2021, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I had this thing in “riot” mode, it was about 700*. I have a fire extinguisher, but just smothered it. RTF does have a good point though, probably shouldn’t throw water on a raging fire. I didn’t know if was on fire, I put those burgers on and hobbled inside to get a beer, came back out and thought I’d peek at them. I opened the lid and it looked like something off Backdraft. I swear I saw the Devil in there. Closed the lid, and unplugged it to stop the fan. And OB was right, they looked exactly like little charcoal briquettes. It took me about 2 hours yesterday to clean all the soot off of it.
                          Throwing water on ignited grease in a kitchen is a really bad idea......the grease....still lit....goes everywhere, makes a hell of a mess, and can catch your kitchen on fire. Out in the backyard, the dangers just weren't all that great unless you're standing right beside the grease, which I wasn't....
                          Mine's Bigger

Comment

Throwing water on ignited grease in a kitchen is a really bad idea......the grease....still lit....goes everywhere, makes a hell of a mess, and can catch your kitchen on fire. Out in the backyard, the dangers just weren't all that great unless you're standing right beside the grease, which I wasn't....
                            No saying anything bad, I was pointing out I had a damn inferno going. I just sacrificed my beautiful burgers i lieu of a potential bigger “Holy Shit” moment. I keep a container of salt next to the stove when I’m cooking to smother fires.

in all seriousness, 2 things scare me as far as damage to your home, fire, and water.

Comment

No saying anything bad, I was pointing out I had a damn inferno going. I just sacrificed my beautiful burgers i lieu of a potential bigger “Holy Shit” moment. I keep a container of salt next to the stove when I’m cooking to smother fires.

in all seriousness, 2 things scare me as far as damage to your home, fire, and water.
                              Seems you can never have enough salt or baking powder when you really need it.

Comment

Yep...I had that happen recently.....thankfully the garden hose was nearby and I had the flameout under control pretty quickly. The water that didn't turn to steam ran out the side vent into that cute little bucket that hangs off the side so nothing was damaged. It was a hell of a fire, as I'd just smoked a butt and a chuck roast for 12 hours the day prior.
                                Line the cute little bucket with a couple of paper towels for easier clean up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X