Traeger Followup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger Followup

So I've now done ribs, chicken thighs, salmon, half a pork butt and pork chops. The smoke tube added a lot of flavor to the butt.....but I'm still struggling a bit with time and temp. The butt was delicious, but hard to "pull". I'll get it right....I'm just not being patient enough. I did the pork chops last night and they were excellent.....some of the best chops I've ever had. Advantages.....no prepping with charcoal and a quick cool down, so I can get the cover back on it pretty quickly. Disadvantage .....those little pellets aren't cheap and I've already gone through 20 pounds of them. Just got to lock in on the long smokes and I'm good to go......
    Mine's Bigger

Making good progress. Did the pork butt have a bone in it? If it did you know it’s done when you can easily remove it. It’s really hard to overcook a pork butt.

If you don’t have these I suggest picking up a pair. I usually shred my pork and then use a cleaver to cut the meat finer. I prefer more of a chopped pork than shredded on my samiches...but to each their own.

Unves Bear Paws Meat Shredder Claws, Best Pulled Pork Shredder Claws Meat - Meat Claws for Handle, Shred, and Cut Meats,Essential for BBQ(Silicone Brush and Mini Oven Gloves)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9TW992...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by FLAVOLS View Post
      Making good progress. Did the pork butt have a bone in it? If it did you know it’s done when you can easily remove it. It’s really hard to overcook a pork butt.

If you don’t have these I suggest picking up a pair. I usually shred my pork and then use a cleaver to cut the meat finer. I prefer more of a chopped pork than shredded on my samiches...but to each their own.

Unves Bear Paws Meat Shredder Claws, Best Pulled Pork Shredder Claws Meat - Meat Claws for Handle, Shred, and Cut Meats,Essential for BBQ(Silicone Brush and Mini Oven Gloves)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9TW992...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      No bone.....I've got some pretty good claw like shredders.....I just jumped the shark and pulled it too early. It was hovering around 181 and I was wanting it to get to 200.....left for some errands and when I got home...the pellets had run out. I said "screw it" and pulled it.
      Mine's Bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Orangebutt View Post

No bone.....I've got some pretty good claw like shredders.....I just jumped the shark and pulled it too early. It was hovering around 181 and I was wanting it to get to 200.....left for some errands and when I got home...the pellets had run out. I said "screw it" and pulled it.
        I like to take butts off the smoker from 195-205 and let them rest for at least an hour, preferably two. I wrap in two layers of HD foil, cover with a Downy free towel and place in an old cooler to rest. This allows juices to redistribute within the meat. Also add the pork au jus back into the shredded meat for added moisture and flavor.

As noted, if the blade bone pulls easily it's done.

I used to buy pellets @ Academy Sports. They were around $15 for 20 lbs. and I think I saw that they had mixed woods like hickory and cherry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tnjimbob View Post
          I like to take butts off the smoker from 195-205 and let them rest for at least an hour, preferably two. I wrap in two layers of HD foil, cover with a Downy free towel and place in an old cooler to rest. This allows juices to redistribute within the meat. Also add the pork au jus back into the shredded meat for added moisture and flavor.

As noted, if the blade bone pulls easily it's done.

I used to buy pellets @ Academy Sports. They were around $15 for 20 lbs. and I think I saw that they had mixed woods like hickory and cherry.

Thanks....I got a 40 pound bag from off of Amazon for $29. Its a blend of Maple, Cherry and Hickory. The cool thing is that I'm trying to avoid public places with this pandemic...and was able to get it delivered in 24 for hours with no freight charges. I'm going to try another long smoke when I get home after the weekend. I'll be more patient.....
          Mine's Bigger

Comment

Thanks....I got a 40 pound bag from off of Amazon for $29. Its a blend of Maple, Cherry and Hickory. The cool thing is that I'm trying to avoid public places with this pandemic...and was able to get it delivered in 24 for hours with no freight charges. I'm going to try another long smoke when I get home after the weekend. I'll be more patient.....
            Sounds like a good deal. The only real difference I saw in pellets was the amount of ash they produced and how long they burned. Anything less than $1/lb. was a good price for me. Ymmv.

Traeger probably makes an expensive insulating blanket that will help with fuel economy, but I used a small welding blanket from Harbor Freight that worked ok. It was around $20 vs. $100 or so for a name brand blanket from the grill manufacturer. Just fold it to where it will cover the lid and not fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by tnjimbob View Post
              Sounds like a good deal. The only real difference I saw in pellets was the amount of ash they produced and how long they burned. Anything less than $1/lb. was a good price for me. Ymmv.

Traeger probably makes an expensive insulating blanket that will help with fuel economy, but I used a small welding blanket from Harbor Freight that worked ok. It was around $20 vs. $100 or so for a name brand blanket from the grill manufacturer. Just fold it to where it will cover the lid and not fall off.

Thanks....I saw their blanket...and wasn't ready to spend that money....I'll check into the harbor freight one. You're a great asset, JimBob
              Mine's Bigger

Comment

Thanks....I saw their blanket...and wasn't ready to spend that money....I'll check into the harbor freight one. You're a great asset, JimBob
                Thank you sir. Glad to share my experience with you guys

Comment

Good work OB. My magic number for a pork butt is 203. If you pull it too soon it will slice and not pull. I put mine on about midnight, go to bed, probe it the next morning, and wait for 203. I make sure my hopper is full before going to bed.

As mentioned above, after it hits the number, double wrap in foil and let it rest, the longer the better. That’s what she said. Then pull. I use a vinegar finishing sauce and pour the defatted juice back over the meat. I use pellets from Cabelas more often than not. Get yourself a rib roast, dry brine it overnight, and smoke it. Meat candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  It ain't nothing for me to whoop a man's ass...you might have heard of me.

IT'S A DAMN OIL FILTER, I bought it off of ye fair and square, you said it was a good 'un.

That's chickenshit just like you and ye damn business.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Morgan View Post
                    Good work OB. My magic number for a pork butt is 203. If you pull it too soon it will slice and not pull. I put mine on about midnight, go to bed, probe it the next morning, and wait for 203. I make sure my hopper is full before going to bed.

As mentioned above, after it hits the number, double wrap in foil and let it rest, the longer the better. That’s what she said. Then pull. I use a vinegar finishing sauce and pour the defatted juice back over the meat. I use pellets from Cabelas more often than not. Get yourself a rib roast, dry brine it overnight, and smoke it. Meat candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Thanks, Bill....I'm intrigued by the blanket thing......particularly when we're smoking in cold weather.
                    Mine's Bigger

Comment

Just fold it to where it will cover the lid and not fall off.
                      Keep an eye out for some of the small but mighty magnets that are out there. I have two batches from Lee Valley and they come in handy for times when you just don't want to tape something to metal.

Has anyone tried to up grade their meatloaf game?
                      We usually have a meatloaf from The Homesick Texan Cookbook (vol.1) which includes a few chipotle peppers, lime juice and (she calls for Chorizo sausage, but I use) Benton bacon ends finely chopped up.
                      I have a recent recipe to try early next week (Mix of a total of two pounds venison and ground beef) (plus meatloaf stuff) smoked at 225F for 3 to 4 hours to a temperature of 165. I will make it longer and slimmer than usual to try to get the smoke to really permeate the loaf.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post

Keep an eye out for some of the small but mighty magnets that are out there. I have two batches from Lee Valley and they come in handy for times when you just don't want to tape something to metal.

Has anyone tried to up grade their meatloaf game?
                        We usually have a meatloaf from The Homesick Texan Cookbook (vol.1) which includes a few chipotle peppers, lime juice and (she calls for Chorizo sausage, but I use) Benton bacon ends finely chopped up.
                        I have a recent recipe to try early next week (Mix of a total of two pounds venison and ground beef) (plus meatloaf stuff) smoked at 225F for 3 to 4 hours to a temperature of 165. I will make it longer and slimmer than usual to try to get the smoke to really permeate the loaf.
                        Need that meatloaf recipe for my son in law who put up quite a bit of deer meat in the freezer this season.

Comment

Thanks, Bill....I'm intrigued by the blanket thing......particularly when we're smoking in cold weather.
                          OB, that Academy Sports up by the light rail on South Blvd in Pineville might have a pickup. Not sure, but, it seems like I did a pick up there before I moved away.

Comment

Flavols:
                            Here's a link that has Lisa Fain's Meatloaf
                            https://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the...ato-glaze.html

The comments about not using Chorizo and cilantro are interesting, as I never have Chorizo, but I always use Benton bacon ends, finely cut up. I do try to use cilantro as we really like the flavor.

Some meat processors will make their ground venison with beef fat, others don't. What I learned early on is that any recipe that is "hamburger" plus seasonings can be venison + the same seasonings. Folks who hunt on our land give us venison each year. My husband ate a whole lot of venison and thought he was eating hamburger.

Beyond the meatloaf, there's Grillades, Stratacotta (an Italian slow roast with a lot of vegetables and tomato sauce), Mussaman Curry, meatballs, Simple indian curry, and the ever popular texas style chili. I keep meaning to make Greek stefado (which he loves), but either I don't have left over red wine or I can't find the small onions. Literally any stew that calls for red meat from any cuisine that likes lots of spices and herbs can have venison substituted for water buffalo, or se asian jungle meat.
                            With burger, it's cook the same as hamburger. With the roasts, for some cuts, allow a longer low and slow cook.

Comment

Originally posted by real turf fan View Post
                              Flavols:
                              Here's a link that has Lisa Fain's Meatloaf
                              https://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the...ato-glaze.html

The comments about not using Chorizo and cilantro are interesting, as I never have Chorizo, but I always use Benton bacon ends, finely cut up. I do try to use cilantro as we really like the flavor.

Some meat processors will make their ground venison with beef fat, others don't. What I learned early on is that any recipe that is "hamburger" plus seasonings can be venison + the same seasonings. Folks who hunt on our land give us venison each year. My husband ate a whole lot of venison and thought he was eating hamburger.

Beyond the meatloaf, there's Grillades, Stratacotta (an Italian slow roast with a lot of vegetables and tomato sauce), Mussaman Curry, meatballs, Simple indian curry, and the ever popular texas style chili. I keep meaning to make Greek stefado (which he loves), but either I don't have left over red wine or I can't find the small onions. Literally any stew that calls for red meat from any cuisine that likes lots of spices and herbs can have venison substituted for water buffalo, or se asian jungle meat.
                              With burger, it's cook the same as hamburger. With the roasts, for some cuts, allow a longer low and slow cook.
                              He will appreciate this - as do I Turf.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We never use hamburger except if we want...a hamburger. We use venison in all our soups, chili, stew, spaghetti, tacos, enchiladas..etc. I bought a grinder at Cabelas’s a few years ago and can grind one as fast as I can put the meat in.
                                Turf, we broke down and bought an All American pressure canner this year after our old one died. Or I killed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X