Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Security / IP Cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitagevol View Post
    Get a dog instead of a camera. They will warn you of an issue, then get a shotgun for resolution of problems that may arise. Nothing says oh shit like the racking of a shotgun!
    I had a lady from AT&T call last week telling me how great their wireless security system is. Right about then my dog started barking. I told to listen....thatís my dog....he will bite your ass if you break into my house...and guess what??? Heís wireless too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine's Bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Orangebutt View Post
    I had a lady from AT&T call last week telling me how great their wireless security system is. Right about then my dog started barking. I told her to listen....thatís my dog....he will bite your ass if you break into my house...and guess what??? Heís wireless too!!!

Mine's Bigger

Paging Ghengis
    Elvis said find em young and Fred said old fashion girls are fun

Quote Originally Posted by BrassVols View Post
    As a matter of fact I do.

It's not going to bother me one bit if you want to make fun of me for all of that. Before you do, you might want to consider I have some professional exp in hardening systems and networks against cyber attack. Might know a thing or two about threats that you don't!
    You might know a thing or two about "threats" just as I know a thing or two about intestinal/liver/pancreas Cancers. But that doesn't mean I see a Cancer around every corner!

But don't ya think cyber security for a large company just might be a little different level than Joe Blow everyday American sitting at his desk doing Poogle.com searches? JMO but I think the NSA, FBI, CIA, NORKS, Chinese, and Vlad the Bad's boys just have more pressing things to hack than Brassy's home network

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaVol View Post
    You might know a thing or two about "threats" just as I know a thing or two about intestinal/liver/pancreas Cancers. But that doesn't mean I see a Cancer around every corner!

But don't ya think cyber security for a large company just might be a little different level than Joe Blow everyday American sitting at his desk doing Poogle.com searches? JMO but I think the NSA, FBI, CIA, NORKS, Chinese, and Vlad the Bad's boys just have more pressing things to hack than Brassy's home network
    The line between the dark web and state actor cyberthreats is blurry. As I know I've already had my identity stolen multiple times, including by the Peoples Republic of China (SF-86), I have to assume that there exists on the dark web a fairly comprehensive set of PII on me, some of which I've verified via 3rd party scans. That means, among other things, that my full name, every address I've ever lived, phone numbers, email addresses, SSN, some passwords, answers to security questions, all of the above for family members, the list goes on and on. What has not been compromised as best I can tell is access to financial accounts....I've subsequently locked those down tighter than a box turtle's ass. As there happens to be a good bit of wealth accessible in those accounts why would I even think about not taking every possible measure to isolate my footprint from now on?

Do you think there are any PRC students in the Atlanta area? What do you think some of them are doing over here? Who do you think sent them?

Look, if you're convinced no one has any of your PII or sensitive records then by all means press ahead....fat, dumb and happy.

Most everybody I know has the camera on their puter taped over.
    I'm humming like a revved up truck,
    never mind the odds I'm gonna try my luck.

Do you think there are any PRC students in the Atlanta area? What do you think some of them are doing over here? Who do you think sent them?
    When you order Chinese take out, do you pay in cash or credit?

The line between the dark web and state actor cyberthreats is blurry. As I know I've already had my identity stolen multiple times, including by the Peoples Republic of China (SF-86), I have to assume that there exists on the dark web a fairly comprehensive set of PII on me, some of which I've verified via 3rd party scans. That means, among other things, that my full name, every address I've ever lived, phone numbers, email addresses, SSN, some passwords, answers to security questions, all of the above for family members, the list goes on and on. What has not been compromised as best I can tell is access to financial accounts....I've subsequently locked those down tighter than a box turtle's ass. As there happens to be a good bit of wealth accessible in those accounts why would I even think about not taking every possible measure to isolate my footprint from now on?

Look, if you're convinced no one has any of your PII or sensitive records then by all means press ahead....fat, dumb and happy.
    Hacking is certainly a threat but as far as I can see, the hacking is occurring when you use your credit card at places like Home Depot in the last few years rather than someone sitting outside your house trying to hack into your home WiFi system. Hard to live life these days without a credit card though. I did check and I have the encryption on the Orbi that you suggested.

But even Credit Card hacking and identity theft, are minor things compared to getting into your Brokerage Accounts or Pension Plans and wiping out your savings. I haven't heard of that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaVol View Post
    Hacking is certainly a threat but as far as I can see, the hacking is occurring when you use your credit card at places like Home Depot in the last few years rather than someone sitting outside your house trying to hack into your home WiFi system. Hard to live life these days without a credit card though. I did check and I have the encryption on the Orbi that you suggested.

But even Credit Card hacking and identity theft, are minor things compared to getting into your Brokerage Accounts or Pension Plans and wiping out your savings. I haven't heard of that yet.
    Credit card fraud is not much of a direct threat as banks have vigilant antifraud operations that shut it down fast...it's their liability, not the card holders. Of course it costs us all in the end as the cost for those antifraud operations are paid by the card holders indirectly. The bigger risk is in what PII they can steal that is associated with your credit card account.

Completely opposite with debit cards which is why you should never ever use a debit card at somewhere like a gas pump.

You're correct that having your home wifi network penetrated on the RF side is a low probability event. You're much more likely to be penetrated using public "free" wifi hot spots. My concern is that if you have so much of your PII already on the dark web and cyber thugs suspect you possess wealth, that is a vulnerability they could exploit. Someone who has their Wifi radios turned up to 11 when they don't need to and has been careless with configuration and encryption is just putting a "rob me" sign on their mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitagevol View Post
    When you order Chinese take out, do you pay in cash or credit?
    Credit. But I use AV's credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballVol View Post
    Credit. But I use AV's credit card.

Well, you never know where itís been so wash your hands afterwards.