Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register

Default America is THE land of opportunity

You've heard of King Cakes for Mardi Gras. But have you heard of the Vietnahmese Bakery in (shudder) east New Orleans that is a bakery, a commercial seller of classic Vietnahmese breads to other restaurants, and, now, the most sought after King Cake in New Orleans?

The cake is
    Dong Phuong’s take on the king cake is unique. It begins with traditional brioche dough but has the butter-crisp texture of a croissant under cream cheese icing and heaps of purple, green and gold sugar.
    Where else but America would an immigrant family imagine a new take on an old tradition and make a success. Not just a financial success, but it caught the notice of some big names in the culinary world.

Earlier this year, the James Beard Foundation named the bakery a recipient of one of its America’s Classics awards, which recognizes establishments of “timeless appeal” that serve food “that reflects the character of their communities.” Hansen’s Sno-Bliz, Mosca’s and Willie Mae’s Scotch House are other New Orleans businesses to win the America’s Classics award in past years.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...b50acad42.html

One of the things I DO miss about New Orleans. Those cream cheese King Cakes were darned good.
    Mine's Bigger

I work with a group from New Orleans, and every year get my own King cake from https://www.haydelbakery.com/site.php from them. It is good.
    On Butch Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoVol View Post
    He took something beautiful that I loved and made me hate being near it. I don't like him for that.

ElC,
    Haydel's is the one bakery I miss with a really serious feel. Two things from there you should try: their Russian cake (sold by the slice, the cake is close to a British Gateau, but it's a cake without pudding. The cake is multicolor and has crumbs of all sorts of other cakes in it in a red devilsfood cake background.

But the one thing that I missed so bad that I taught myself how to make them: Almond croissants: No almond paste, but an almond Creme Anglais filling, put in a great Croissant- and generously almost overfilled, then coated with an almond praline, then some slivered almonds and a dusting of confectioners sugar. (and available by Mail Order.)

Turf.
    This year the King Cake had chocolate in it. Is that something new? Or am I that unobservant that I never noticed it before? Or was it just a different variation of a King cake? Do you know anything about it?
    On Butch Jones
    He took something beautiful that I loved and made me hate being near it. I don't like him for that.

Chocolate is new to me, also. But everything goes nowadays.

Even when we were there, there were arguments that King Cakes shouldn't be filled. But many people preferred them filled. And People have been eating king cakes in New Orleans this year since the first or second week of January (I forget when First Night was this year.)

When you mentioned chocolate, I have to ask was the baby chocolate colored as well?

Here's a local King Cake competition with some of the variables.
    http://www.nola.com/northshore/index...art_river_home

no the baby was still pink and spooky as hell.. that tradition always creeps me out. Finding a pink baby in your cake??? Yea this was a regular King Cake, except this year it had a ribbon of chocolate cake braided in it. I liked it a lot.
    On Butch Jones

I had heard that they switched to a baby because the original fava beans were too hard. (And fava beans do have a postive place in NOLA lore, as the marchers in the St. Joseph's Parade will give a blessed fava bean to someone they judge to be worthy (i was given one by an elderly marcher who was a true believer, and my next year was one of the best of my life.).

This summary before sort of fits into that.

https://www.cajuncrawfish.com/king-cake-baby.htm

Quote Originally Posted by real turf fan View Post
    I had heard that they switched to a baby because the original fava beans were too hard. (And fava beans do have a postive place in NOLA lore, as the marchers in the St. Joseph's Parade will give a blessed fava bean to someone they judge to be worthy (i was given one by an elderly marcher who was a true believer, and my next year was one of the best of my life.).

This summary before sort of fits into that.

https://www.cajuncrawfish.com/king-cake-baby.htm
    Wow, what a site. I may be ordering mudbugs for my b-day.
    On Butch Jones