Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register

Default Yesterday's purchase

40 pounds of pork butt purchased at GFS yesterday. Going to smoke it next Thursday through the night for the press box and coaches post game at the Farragut at Maryville playoff game on Friday. It will go in the brine on Monday.

Forty two pounds of pork butt (640x360).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoDad View Post
    40 pounds of pork butt purchased at GFS yesterday. Going to smoke it next Thursday through the night for the press box and coaches post game at the Farragut at Maryville playoff game on Friday. It will go in the brine on Monday.

Forty two pounds of pork butt (640x360).jpg
    Won't 40# feed about 10 Coaching Staffs and press Boxes?

40# cooked will feed that many, but you can figure on 40-50% loss during the cooking process, especially if you don't trim butts at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tnjimbob View Post
    40# cooked will feed that many, but you can figure on 40-50% loss during the cooking process, especially if you don't trim butts at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yep. It yields about half of it's weight in finished product, and 20 pounds will feed at least 40 people. Plus there will be other fixings to go with it, so nobody will starve.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaVol View Post
    Won't 40# feed about 10 Coaching Staffs and press Boxes?
    No...cooked yield is only about 40%

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

In to the 30 year old Brinkman for a low and slow smoke, fat side up for self basting.

I brined them for 48 hours, then dry rubbed and let the rub marinade for another 24 or so.

Forty two pounds in to the Brinkman (640x360).jpg

Well, how'd they turn out? Well received by the press box folks, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by tnjimbob View Post
    Well, how'd they turn out? Well received by the press box folks, I'd say.
    Turned out really well, actually. I meant to take a picture of the final product, but things got so chaotic Friday with my trying to get the food prepared and get my final game prep done, that I just plain forgot.

The meat turned out great. I used Mesquite and Apple this time. Had a great smoky flavor.

I did a little different recipe on the sauce, this time. Went for more of a "sweet heat" flavor. Got really close to what I wanted to get.

I'm assuming that folks liked it. First of all, there wasn't any left at the end of the day either in the press box or in the coaches office. Secondly, I got a lot of positive response and no negative response.

I really get a rush from sharing with others something that I enjoy doing and have developed a craft for.

I've never once thought to brine a pork butt...tell me more about what your mixing up?
    "A lot of times, we have no idea what we're doing, but, the defense doesn't know, that we don't know what we're doing. Now that's next level." - Peyton Manning

Quote Originally Posted by Del Griffith View Post
    I've never once thought to brine a pork butt...tell me more about what your mixing up?
    I didn't brine for years, either, but once a buddy showed me how to do it I would never even think of smoking a pork butt without brining.

It's rally simple. I normally do at least two pork butts at a time, sometimes up to 4. For brining two, I put a gallon of water, a cup of dark brown sugar, and a cup of coarse kosher salt in a pot and bring it to a boil to dissolve.

While that is working, I take the pork butts and with a small paring knife I punch holes all over the butt as deep as the knife will go in the meat. Do that on both the lean and fat sides.

Once the brine comes to a boil I put ice in the brine bucket and pour the brine solution in to the bucket. Add more ice as needed to cool the brine. I then put the butts in the brine, and add a generous amount of chopped garlic and chop a couple of medium onions and add to the brine. Also add about a quarter cup of whole peppercorns. Then top if with a bottle of apple juice.

I take the bucket and put the entire thing in to my refrigerator. I have a refrigerator out in the garage that I used for my brining and for keeping my adult beverages.

I let the brine work for 48 hours, then take the butts out and dry them, then add the rub and put them back in the fridge tented with aluminum foil for 24 hours before going on the smoker.

Brining give the butts an incredible amount of moisture and flavor, and as long as you cook them fat side up it pretty much eliminates the need to baste during cooking.

I have also found that if I fill half of my liquid pan with a dark beer (I have found Yunglning Traditional to work well) and the rest with water it helps with retaining moisture and gives the bark a little extra umph.