Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register

Default Bill Bates on being a Vol...

Sounds like he will do his part to make his son a Vol.

Hope so!!

Default Love it!!!!

I am in this video ( amongst the masses that tore down the goalposts in '84 ). Johnny was ballsy and Trob was fearless that day! I helped carry the posts down the strip. The posts ended up in OCI for 25 years.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

Default Or was that 82?

If so. I was there but didn't rush the field.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

Yet another telling part about the past...when he talks about feeling welcome and being part of the family for the first time in a long time. Nice to sneak that in during the "praise Butch" part of the video (which always comes at the end).

That's 82 and one of those drunken idiots happens to be yours truly. I should have graduated in the spring of 82, but I stuck around for an extra quarter just to help tear down those goalposts.

Bill says "Nay"land. And John Ward used to say "Nay"land on the radio during the 60s.. Listened to him as a kid... Ward changed it to "Knee"land later in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by rosefeathers View Post
    It was 82. Beautiful day, Worlds Fair going on. I was in DD so couldn't rush the field, but would've. Probably my best memory at UT.

Jones absolutely has to sign Dillion Bates. If he has to sell his sole to do it.....

Same here. But I was in the Tap Room afterward and IIRC the goalpost came there first. Also IIRC part of it stayed there, didn't it?

I am in this video ( amongst the masses that tore down the goalposts in '84 ). Johnny was ballsy and Trob was fearless that day! I helped carry the posts down the strip. The posts ended up in OCI for 25 years.
    Goalpost ended up at OCI/Tap Room in '85 after Auburn game too.

Thanks PD!

Default Don't ask me about Tap Room, Softie.

I recall a bar, a juke box, a nasty as hell men's room...everything else is very blurry.

I recall a bar, a juke box, a nasty as hell men's room...everything else is very blurry.
    Yeah, it had a pungent odor all right. To me it smelled like cheap beer which of course is always my favorite. It also had probably close to a solid inch or so of stale cigarette smoke and nicotine coating every square inch of the place. And the number one feature: the super-glue-like sticky floor. Had they turned that building upside down I'm convinced I could have walked on the ceiling all night long although that would have made it kind of hard to drink my cheap beer.
    Last edited by SoftballVol; March 8th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

The Tap Room. Puking on the floor might have IMPROVED the smell. I recall more than ones aging/unemployed hooker frequenting that joint as well.