Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dumbest decisions made by the UTAD

so we are 1-18 in our last 19 SEC games in the 3 biggest sports. Was hiring Hammy the worst decision ever made by the UTAD? My rankings:

1. Hiring a 28 year old position coach as HC when Dickey left in December of 1969.

1A. Hiring a non-athlete bean-counter from Clemson as AD in 2003

3. Bowden Wyatt continuing to run the single wing in the late 50s and early 60s.

4. Hiring Don DeVoe as BB coach in 78 when there were at least 25 more qualified candidates available.

5. Flumtard promoting Randyman to OC in 99.

6. Every BB coach hired after DeVoe until Pearl.

7. Hiring a West Coast guy as HC in 2008.

8. Hiring a rube from West Carolina as baseball coach in 2006(?)

I didn't list hiring Dooley or DD hiring Sal because of unusual circumstances(time constraints and sinking ship) they were probably about as well as we could have done.

Fire away

Default Good List. Dooley hire is definitely in my Top 8, though. I'll have to give

some thought to the actual rankings, though. To think we could have had someone like Sumlin instead of Dooley still chaps my ass.

My Top 8 would probably be all football or AD-related, though since, honestly, I don't think poor hoops or baseball decisions impact UT nearly to the extent that football does. I call it the "give a shit" factor.

I would add keeping Fulmer after the 2005 season. It was pretty obvious at that time that he was done.

Four Americans involved in a sex scandal, Obama holds a press conference.

Four Americans killed in a terrorist attack in Benghazi, Obama goes to Vegas.

Priorities.

Just for fun, Google
    "jimmy cheek booger eater"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The brick endzone walls way too close to the field.

Don't forget the years of poor choices made for administrators, which have led to poor relationships with the AD.

Default Flip it around another way...

Quote Originally Posted by Riversetvol View Post
    so we are 1-18 in our last 19 SEC games in the 3 biggest sports. Was hiring Hammy the worst decision ever made by the UTAD? My rankings:

1. Hiring a 28 year old position coach as HC when Dickey left in December of 1969.

1A. Hiring a non-athlete bean-counter from Clemson as AD in 2003

3. Bowden Wyatt continuing to run the single wing in the late 50s and early 60s.

4. Hiring Don DeVoe as BB coach in 78 when there were at least 25 more qualified candidates available.

5. Flumtard promoting Randyman to OC in 99.

6. Every BB coach hired after DeVoe until Pearl.

7. Hiring a West Coast guy as HC in 2008.

8. Hiring a rube from West Carolina as baseball coach in 2006(?)

I didn't list hiring Dooley or DD hiring Sal because of unusual circumstances(time constraints and sinking ship) they were probably about as well as we could have done.

Fire away
    When is the last time the UTAD made a really good or smart decision? The run of bad decisions just goes back for many years. We will see if Jones is a good or bad decision but on paper it is a pretty good decision given the other options. Doubt it is a home run hire but at least it makes more sense than KiffTard and Dooley hires did. Also a more solid hire than Martin, Buzz, Jerry green, Kevin O'Neal, Wade Houston, Don Devoe, etc in BB. The UTAD has made 1 and only 1 good decision with Pearl since 1980 range. Talk about a bad streak of hires!

Agree on Pearl, but the only reason he was hired was because Grunfeld told them to.
    "God couldn't block him. It is what it is". Richie Rich Petibon, after being prison raped by KMac.
    "When the OL ends up sitting on the QB, it's kind of hard to say he won". KMac when asked
    about Petibon thinking he won one of the three match ups with McKenzie.

Yes and even that crashed and burned. Mentioned this before, as have others, but to add another angle is to look at who we didn't hire or recruit. Spurrier (if we would've signed him we could've hired him later as HC), Sumlin, Patterson, Kelly, Bill Self in basketball, etc. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting. Really hope we get lucky with Jones. He certainly is an improvement from Dools but that doesn't take much.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaVol View Post
    When is the last time the UTAD made a really good or smart decision? The run of bad decisions just goes back for many years. We will see if Jones is a good or bad decision but on paper it is a pretty good decision given the other options. Doubt it is a home run hire but at least it makes more sense than KiffTard and Dooley hires did. Also a more solid hire than Martin, Buzz, Jerry green, Kevin O'Neal, Wade Houston, Don Devoe, etc in BB. The UTAD has made 1 and only 1 good decision with Pearl since 1980 range. Talk about a bad streak of hires!

No way we were gonna sign Spurrier as a qb. There was no interest in moving away from the single wing at the time, so therefore, no interest in him. Bummer.

You're right. That was the mistake I was talking about. I wonder how many championships Spurrier could have won in comparison to Fulmer?

Quote Originally Posted by WestcoastVol View Post
    No way we were gonna sign Spurrier as a qb. There was no interest in moving away from the single wing at the time, so therefore, no interest in him. Bummer.

Considering Haslem just hired Michael Lombardi as new VP/Browns who said this on Oct. 2 "Seattle Seahawks should bench Russell Wilson and play Matt Flynn"....I wouldn't be too quick on placing 100% of the blame on the UTAD for all the bad decisions in recent years.
    Last edited by PitiFulmer; January 18th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PitiFulmer View Post
    Considering Haslem just hired Michael Lombardi as new VP/Browns who said this on Oct. 2 "Seattle Seahawks should bench Russell Wilson and play Matt Flynn"....I wouldn't be too quick on placing 100% of the blame on the UTAD for all the bad decisions in recent years.
    Jimmy Haslam (son) owns and operates the Browns, not Big Jim Haslam.

Four Americans involved in a sex scandal, Obama holds a press conference.

Four Americans killed in a terrorist attack in Benghazi, Obama goes to Vegas.

Priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoDad View Post
    Jimmy Haslam (son) owns and operates the Browns, not Big Jim Haslam.
    My bad, I thought the dad was also involved with the Browns.

Default Still the Haslam family

Quote Originally Posted by PitiFulmer View Post
    My bad, I thought the dad was also involved with the Browns.
    I would think the Haslam clan has either veto power or near veto power over major hires like UT HC's and UT Presidents (maybe even the AD job). We have had tons of bad HC and President hires the past 10-12 years. The Haslams are the constant.