Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How long does Gruden Get to turn things around?

Before all you board genius's call for his dismissal. I guess we should define what "turn things around" is as well.

"Come take it"

Considering the money that he will be getting, I'm guessing he will be expected to produce at a high level very quickly. Significant improvement in year 1 and competing for the SEC East no later than year 3.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKVOL View Post
    Before all you board genius's call for his dismissal. I guess we should define what "turn things around" is as well.
    Since he would be inheriting a train wreck, he needs 3 years to show we're progressing.

Blog Entries

Well, since you claimed that dooley would get until 2016, I guess a real fucking coach ought to be able to do it in half that time. "Turn things around" is a bar that is set pretty low since dooley has won 1 sec game since 2011. I believe Gruden will clear that hurdle in his first season without much trouble. Genius.

Strategic Airpower
    Delivering instant sunshine to the
    far reaches of the globe since 1945.

Next year. We have one of the best OL in the SEC. He will have to hire a good DC to make the D better. The DL will be all seniors, and have more depth. If Gruden comes here, and he can motivate certain players, we can win, CDD will leave the cupboard fairly full for the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianVol View Post
    Next year. We have one of the best OL in the SEC. He will have to hire a good DC to make the D better. The DL will be all seniors, and have more depth. If Gruden comes here, and he can motivate certain players, we can win, CDD will leave the cupboard fairly full for the next guy.
    I agree with most of that. The new DC better be part magician because even though we have a DL of all seniors, the LB's are sill slow as molasses and the secondary is awful. I'd love to see Bray next year with an offseason of Gruden coaching him up.

Quote Originally Posted by volgrr View Post
    I agree with most of that. The new DC better be part magician because even though we have a DL of all seniors, the LB's are sill slow as molasses and the secondary is awful.

Apparently Wilcox and to some extent even Monte were part magician

I'd love to see Bray next year with an offseason of Gruden coaching him up.

A big secondary reason why I'd love to see Gruden hired. And it just might even be a factor in luring him here

Pulled this from another site.....maybe it's a good reference to set our expectations...

"South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2005–present)
    2005 South Carolina 7–5 5–3 T–2nd (East) L Independence
    2006 South Carolina 8–5 3–5 5th (East) W Liberty
    2007 South Carolina 6–6 3–5 T–4th (East)
    2008 South Carolina 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (East) L Outback
    2009 South Carolina 7–6 3–5 T–4th (East) L PapaJohns.com
    2010 South Carolina 9–5 5–3 1st (East) L Chick-Fil-A 22 22
    2011 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 2nd (East) W Capital One 8 9
    2012 South Carolina 5–0 3–0 (East)

Looks like it was year 7 that he did anything "special". NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING COACH operating in a recruiting hotbed and it took him 7 years to make a splash.

Yeah, giving Dooley at least 5 years to climb out of the abyss that was Tennessee Football is a ridiculous position to take."

"Come take it"

I see your point, but USC was historically shitty for a long time before Spurrier got there....and even those mediocre records in his first years (and the bowl games they led to) were an improvement.

Since Gruden isn't coming , I guess he gets forever to turn things around

Quote Originally Posted by tatar salad View Post
    I see your point, but USC was historically shitty for a long time before Spurrier got there....and even those mediocre records in his first years (and the bowl games they led to) were an improvement.
    no....Spurrier followed NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING Coach Lou Holtz. Holts had recruited pretty well before Spurrier got there and that Fanbase may be one of the best in Colllege football. They also have the Administartion COMPLETELY dedicated and committed to winning as well as being located in a recruiting Hotbed. It was pretty much tee'd it up for Spurrier.

"Come take it"

Yeah, giving Dooley at least 5 years to climb out of the abyss that was Tennessee Football is a ridiculous position to take
    Come on, you are smarter than that. There is a lot more to it than putting up South Carolina's record and saying Dooley should get 5 years. He would have gotten 5 years if he showed even a modest ability to be a head coach.

Blog Entries

Come on, you are smarter than that. There is a lot more to it than putting up South Carolina's record and saying Dooley should get 5 years. He would have gotten 5 years if he showed even a modest ability to be a head coach.
    No, he's not.

Strategic Airpower
    Delivering instant sunshine to the
    far reaches of the globe since 1945.

Pulled this from another site.....maybe it's a good reference to set our expectations...

"South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2005–present)
    2005 South Carolina 7–5 5–3 T–2nd (East) L Independence
    2006 South Carolina 8–5 3–5 5th (East) W Liberty
    2007 South Carolina 6–6 3–5 T–4th (East)
    2008 South Carolina 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (East) L Outback
    2009 South Carolina 7–6 3–5 T–4th (East) L PapaJohns.com
    2010 South Carolina 9–5 5–3 1st (East) L Chick-Fil-A 22 22
    2011 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 2nd (East) W Capital One 8 9
    2012 South Carolina 5–0 3–0 (East)

Looks like it was year 7 that he did anything "special". NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING COACH operating in a recruiting hotbed and it took him 7 years to make a splash.

Yeah, giving Dooley at least 5 years to climb out of the abyss that was Tennessee Football is a ridiculous position to take."
    Let's examine ALL the facts: Holtz was 16-19 his last 3 years before he was fired, so the cupboard was more bare than it was at Tennessee, where the previous 3 years prior to Dooley's arrival were 22-17, including an SEC east championship.

In 2005 when Spurrier was hired, but before he could even get settled, South Carolina was placed on 3-year probation by the NCAA for actions during the coaching tenure of Lou Holtz. 5 of these actions were considered major violations, including "lack of institutional control", costing scholarship reductions and other restrictions concerning recruiting.

In spite of all that, Spurrier hasn't had a losing record. Spurrier's first year he was named "SEC Coach Of The Year". After only 5 seasons there, Spurrier was the first coach in SC history that had taken his team to 4 bowl games.

It appears to me that Spurrier made quite a "splash" from the get-go, and once the NCAA penalties were lifted, those splashes have grown bigger. Maybe you'll do your homework next time before you copy & paste Dooley propaganda.
    Last edited by Veer; October 24th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

I agree with most of that. The new DC better be part magician because even though we have a DL of all seniors, the LB's are sill slow as molasses and the secondary is awful. I'd love to see Bray next year with an offseason of Gruden coaching him up.
    Bray is one of the players he needs to motivate. Honestly I think motivation and the "winning" attitude is missing from this team. As for the defense, I think part of it is slowness, but we have LBs who are fast (Maggitt, Smith) but not playing with discipline.