Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top 10 Vols of alltime

saw this in the AJC about UGA. Really think the players should be divided into those who played both ways prior to 64 and those who played offense or defense after 64. But here is my list.

Peyton Manning

Steve DeLong

John Henderson

Reggie White

Doug Atkins

Johnny Majors

Bob Suffridge

Jamal Lewis

Eric Berry

Gene McEver

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog...s-of-all-time/

That's a tough task. It would really depend on the criteria you were considering. Some were great college players, but had little or no success in pro football. Some were good college players, but didn't really reach their potential until they got to professional football. How they are ranked would vary greatly depending on the basis' that are being considered.

Four Americans involved in a sex scandal, Obama holds a press conference.

Four Americans killed in a terrorist attack in Benghazi, Obama goes to Vegas.

Priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoDad View Post
    That's a tough task. It would really depend on the criteria you were considering. Some were great college players, but had little or no success in pro football. Some were good college players, but didn't really reach their potential until they got to professional football. How they are ranked would vary greatly depending on the basis' that are being considered.
    Excellent point….what are the metrics….on and off the field….involvement in and give back to the community and the school…citizenship….

Either way Manning is at the top of any list of mine…he’s a true ambassador and the best quaterback I've seen in my 60 years…

My criteria is pretty much raw talent. Really don't consider pro career for the 2 way players since it is hard to evaluate. For instance Johnny was a pretty good TB/QB and a pretty good DB but not good or big enough to play either in the NFL. That's why I think you should have 2 teams, before and after unlimited substitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversetvol View Post
    My criteria is pretty much raw talent. Really don't consider pro career for the 2 way players since it is hard to evaluate. For instance Johnny was a pretty good TB/QB and a pretty good DB but not good or big enough to play either in the NFL. That's why I think you should have 2 teams, before and after unlimited substitution.
    OK, continuing along that line of thinking, do you mean raw God given ability, or God given ability that translated to success on the field?

Again, two different things.

Priorities.

Al Wilson has to be in there.

I should know to never debate with
    an attorney! :-)) I would say the latter which eliminates people like Hubert Simpson, Janzen Jackson and LaMarcus Coker.

Agree about Wilson I would put him 10A. Thought his talent was just a tad less than anyone on the list but he sure made up for it with his determination.

an attorney! :-)) I would say the latter which eliminates people like Hubert Simpson, Janzen Jackson and LaMarcus Coker.

Agree about Wilson I would put him 10A. Thought his talent was just a tad less than anyone on the list but he sure made up for it with his determination.
    Attorney? Geez, RS - I thought we were friends. Call me a low life, kick my dog, do just about anything else and I can live with it. But you called me an attorney?

To answer your question, you list looks good. There have just been way too many outstanding players at UT to make a list without clarifying exactly what the basis is.

Priorities.

Agreed, just too subjective particularly some positions like OL. Still fun in the dog days of summer.

I have always thought Stanley Morgan is the most under-rated and overlooked player in UT history due to his constant position changes and his bad luck of playing the last 4 years of the Battle regime when our fortunes were declining . Can you imagine if he had played on some of our mid 90s teams with Peyton throwing to him?

his determination and leadership are something we've not had since his departure. people were afraid of him, other teams and our team. he's top five in my list...national championship, born leader...just depends on the list criteria i guess. i guess i'm basing it more on impact, and my downright manlove for him.

Agreed, just too subjective particularly some positions like OL. Still fun in the dog days of summer.

I have always thought Stanley Morgan is the most under-rated and overlooked player in UT history due to his constant position changes and his bad luck of playing the last 4 years of the Battle regime when our fortunes were declining . Can you imagine if he had played on some of our mid 90s teams with Peyton throwing to him?
    Add to that with Morgan that he split time between WR and RB during his time at UT. Had he played one or the other his entire career his numbers would be tremendous. He also had an outstanding NFL career.

Priorities.

Jamal Lewis wouldn't be in my top 25, maybe not even my top 50.

On Wilson, that's the first name that popped into my mind when I saw your list. If it were me, I think you have to factor in intangibles like leadership and determination. Not sure we win a NC without that from Al. Also, how good would players like Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, etc., have been, judged purely on raw talent? Certainly they had a lot of talent but so did Wilson.
    "God couldn't block him. It is what it is". Richie Rich Petibon, after being prison raped by KMac.
    "When the OL ends up sitting on the QB, it's kind of hard to say he won". KMac when asked
    about Petibon thinking he won one of the three match ups with McKenzie.

Someone who is one of only 6 players in NFL history to rush for over 2,000 yards in a season and ran for 1300+ as a "TRUE" freshman and would have been around 1800 if Flummo had started him the first 3 games not in your Top 25 or maybe even 50?

saw this in the AJC about UGA. Really think the players should be divided into those who played both ways prior to 64 and those who played offense or defense after 64. But here is my list.

Peyton Manning

Steve DeLong

John Henderson

Reggie White

Doug Atkins

Johnny Majors

Bob Suffridge

Jamal Lewis

Eric Berry

Gene McEver

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog...s-of-all-time/
    I think it's really hard to compare the eras before and after the black players became part of the game....roughly pre or post mid-60's. Since that's my frame of reference, here are my top 10 from 65 on, with one caveat***. My criteria are how much better they made the teams they were on and what raw talent they had that may not have been fully demonstrated until their NFL days:

1. PM
    2. RW
    3. Condredge Holloway
    4. Stanley Morgan
    5. Jamal Lewis
    6. Al Wilson
    7. Jack Reynolds
    8. Doug Atkins***
    9. Eric Berry
    10. John Henderson

I chose Reynolds over DeLong since Reynolds had a much better pro career. I though Condredge should be in there just because he was so unique (reference recent ESPN special on him). I agree with others' comments on Morgan, he was an incredible talent. Also, I started to go with Chuck Webb, but couldn't with only one year played.
    "God couldn't block him. It is what it is". Richie Rich Petibon, after being prison raped by KMac.
    "When the OL ends up sitting on the QB, it's kind of hard to say he won". KMac when asked
    about Petibon thinking he won one of the three match ups with McKenzie.