Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5 most embarrassing UT athletic moments

Interesting thread started by Rickyvol on TOS:

My five:

1. Losing to Tiger High with Peyton at QB

2. Losing to Chattanooga in 58

3. Losing to SE/SW Missouri State by 30 points in the NCAA

4. Losing to UK by 61 in the SEC

5. The second half of the 95 and first half of the 96 Florida games where they outscored us by something like 75 -14.

Dishonorable mention:

The whole Pearl saga

Losing to North Texas in 75

Losing to Army in 84

Our entire post-season BB record for the past 35 years

The gang that couldn't shoot straight at the Pilot in 09

The point s having scandal in the early 60s- that would be a lot higher except nobody even knew we had a BB team until Mears got here

I thought we had a really good post season record under Pearl. It was certainly our high water mark. I guess we can pretend otherwise but I am not sure what purpose that would serve other than as a salve to falling into irrelevance again.

You also didn't mention Fulmer sticking his nose into a rape investigation. That nearly got him charged by the local DA and probably would have had he been anyone else.

Pearl saga wouldn't come close to my top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversetvol View Post

My five:

5. The second half of the 95 and first half of the 96 Florida games where they outscored us by something like 75 -14.

Dishonorable mention:

The whole Pearl saga

Losing to Army in 84

The point s having scandal in the early 60s- that would be a lot higher except nobody even knew we had a BB team until Mears got here
    Kiner trash talking Ole Miss & Archie Manning before the game in 69 in which they stomped a mud hole in our butts.
    Self appointed number 1 Vol Fan

In no particular order and off the top of my head;

* vandy lose in 2005. We should never, ever lose to vandy.
    * Peyton losing the heisman to Woodson. First time ever a defensive player won the heisman.
    * Chris Fowler's "trailer park frenzy" comment made us look even worse.
    * Moving truck being sent to Battle's home was embarrassing.
    * Agree with memphis lose. We had Peyton fucking Manning on our side and lost to memphis.
    * KY lose this year would be in my top 5. They sucked, had a WR playing QB for the first time in his life and we still lost.
    * Wade's last season including 60 pt lose to ky.
    * vandy lose in 2005. We should never, ever lose to vandy. (repeated intentionally to make my point)

I was referring to the Bar-B-que incident. Besides the fact it cost him his career the sheer stupidity of lying about such a small matter and denying you recognized a picture of your own house and the asst not idnetifying his own wife was just really embarrassing.

I was referring to the Bar-B-que incident. Besides the fact it cost him his career the sheer stupidity of lying about such a small matter and denying you recognized a picture of your own house and the asst not idnetifying his own wife was just really embarrassing.
    Yeah, that wasn't good but was still small potatoes. Getting caught paying a player etc... would be much bigger in my mind. The AD should have seen that we had competent counsel and none of that business with Pearl would have happened.

And yeah, I gave up on the men's basketball team long before Pearl. They always played just well enough for you to think they had a chance of turning things around and then they would cut your heart out. My mental health has been much better since I stopped following them so it is not like I have a dog n the fight anymore. I have pretty much decided to restrict my viewing of men's basketball to Final Four appearances.

I would add any of a number of Phildo's post-defeat excusathons. IMO one of the worst and surely one of the most embarrassing was the time he blamed lying recruits and their lying parents for whiffing on National Signing Day. Also, his "We didn't get stupid overnight (we actually got stupid over the course of several years)" remark has to rank somewhere in the top-50 of most-embarassing moments. Or the time he didn't play Arian Foster because Foster had been secretly suspended by his RB coach and Phildo didn't even know about it. Or the time when Phildo was fired and his mommy/wife stood in front of the cameras and directed her gaze of death at the entire Orange Nation.

1. Losing to Tiger High with Peyton
    2. Pearl debacle. For the sheer stupidity of Pearl being either so naive to think that he could slide by on some very simple rules or not being on the same page as his assistants.
    3. I was at the 96 UF game. Very embarrassing
    4. 2001 Cotton Bowl- I was sitting in the middle of the K-State fans as our kids gave about 70% because it was beneath them to play at 10 am in 25 degree weather.
    5. The behavior of a group of our fans since about October 2011. I'm not sure what embarrasses me the most, our seemingly knowledgeable fanbase thinking that any coach could just fix this mess in less than two years, thinking that like Bammer, ND, or OSU, we can just bring back Vince Lombardi from the grave and pay him 6 mil to coach our team, or the way they have behaved like knuckle dragging rednecks in general and treated the only guy that would take the job like shit.

now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quote Originally Posted by leonsking View Post
    1. Losing to Tiger High with Peyton
    2. Pearl debacle. For the sheer stupidity of Pearl being either so naive to think that he could slide by on some very simple rules or not being on the same page as his assistants.
    3. I was at the 96 UF game. Very embarrassing
    4. 2001 Cotton Bowl- I was sitting in the middle of the K-State fans as our kids gave about 70% because it was beneath them to play at 10 am in 25 degree weather.
    5. The behavior of a group of our fans since about October 2011. I'm not sure what embarrasses me the most, our seemingly knowledgeable fanbase thinking that any coach could just fix this mess in less than two years, thinking that like Bammer, ND, or OSU, we can just bring back Vince Lombardi from the grave and pay him 6 mil to coach our team, or the way they have behaved like knuckle dragging rednecks in general and treated the only guy that would take the job like shit.

now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    What an excellent post until number 5..... then what a stupid idiot. Nobody expected Vince Lombardi. Hell I want the coach we have to win. We would have been just fine with 6-6 this year IF Dooley had gotten the team to play in the second half of each game. If he had the foresight to change things up that weren't working. But NOOOOOOOOOOOO it's not poor Dooley's fault that the fucking snapper put the ball over the quarterback's head until the LSU game!!!! Can't change that up when it started. Can't work on running different plays when the running game sucks. Keep coming out and making jokes and dogging players after you get your ass handed to you... that's a good idea too. What an utterly stupid comment on #5. No, we don't want Vince Lombardi, we want the asshole that's already there to do his damn job and win some damn games and quit running his damn mouth!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aadicof View Post
    So we (UT) hang him out to dry with the NCAA investigation, fire him, and he's the one who burned bridges? Go. Big. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by popacapinvtwelvesass View Post
    In no particular order and off the top of my head;

* vandy lose in 2005. We should never, ever lose to vandy.
    * Peyton losing the heisman to Woodson. First time ever a defensive player won the heisman.
    * Chris Fowler's "trailer park frenzy" comment made us look even worse.
    * Moving truck being sent to Battle's home was embarrassing.
    * Agree with memphis lose. We had Peyton fucking Manning on our side and lost to memphis.
    * KY lose this year would be in my top 5. They sucked, had a WR playing QB for the first time in his life and we still lost.
    * Wade's last season including 60 pt lose to ky.
    * vandy lose in 2005. We should never, ever lose to vandy. (repeated intentionally to make my point)

Not quite . Matt Roark was an outstanding dual threat high school qb at North Cobb high school in Metro Atlanta . He was honorable mention allstate in Georgia's largest classification ..........side note , his qb coach his senior year was Tee Martin .
    My kids hs team played NC in the state playoffs and he put on a hell of a show . We won something like 38-35 though it was no fault of Roarks ..........but we still should have beat KY

Quote Originally Posted by ElConquistador View Post
    What an excellent post until number 5..... then what a stupid idiot. Nobody expected Vince Lombardi. Hell I want the coach we have to win. We would have been just fine with 6-6 this year IF Dooley had gotten the team to play in the second half of each game. If he had the foresight to change things up that weren't working. But NOOOOOOOOOOOO it's not poor Dooley's fault that the fucking snapper put the ball over the quarterback's head until the LSU game!!!! Can't change that up when it started. Can't work on running different plays when the running game sucks. Keep coming out and making jokes and dogging players after you get your ass handed to you... that's a good idea too. What an utterly stupid comment on #5. No, we don't want Vince Lombardi, we want the asshole that's already there to do his damn job and win some damn games and quit running his damn mouth!!!
    Negatron complaints that we didn't spend 6 million a year for a top "name coach" are common. Very very common. You personally might have negatroned without using this comment. Then you wouldn't be the subject of Leon's #5. But it certainly doesn't make #5 an "idiot comment".

Cause #5 is true.

My five:

Dishonorable mention:

The whole Pearl saga

Losing to Army in 84

We tied Army in 84. We lost to them in 1986. At least they have tradition.

13-7 loss to Rutgers in 1979 is the biggest in my book. What's a Rutgers? Just because they won the first ever football game...

pretty bad right now if you live in middle tennessee. vandy baseball team went to the college world series last yr. we didn't. vandy football team went to a bowl game last yr. we didn't. vandy basketball team in the ncaa touney. we ain't. argument could be made that vandy's athletic program is better than ours right now. how embarassing is that?

Quote Originally Posted by cattlemanvol View Post
    pretty bad right now if you live in middle tennessee. vandy baseball team went to the college world series last yr. we didn't. vandy football team went to a bowl game last yr. we didn't. vandy basketball team in the ncaa touney. we ain't. argument could be made that vandy's athletic program is better than ours right now. how embarassing is that?
    And this without a athletic department and/or AD.