Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register

Default speaking of hot dogs... what's your favorite?

The Sonic dog thread got me wondering... I used to eat the cheapest, nastiest hot dogs and not think twice about it. But now that I'm older and wiser , I'm kinda funny about them. If we're having them at home I only eat the Hebrew National or Nathan's brands. I can't hardly find Sabrett hot dogs where I live but I'll eat them too. I'll eat the Sonic dogs but won't eat them more than maybe once a month. And I won't eat hot dogs anywhere else unless I know they are one of the above brands, ballgames included. Yes I know, I'm weird.

Do any of you have a favorite brand of hot dogs? Or do you just buy what's on sale that week? And have any of you tried the Boar's Head hot dogs? They come highly recommended by friends who know about my hot dog weirdness.

I grew up on Oscar Meyer. But, I tried Ball Park about 5 years ago and won't buy anything else now.

Don't buy dogs for cooking. Only brats. Too many good sausages out there to pass up. That's what she said.

Blog Entries

Carolina bright Leaf.

First 3 ingredients, pork hearts, mechanically seperated turkey, nonfat dry milk. Heaven on a bun.
    Last edited by tebowisgay; April 22nd, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
    TIG, Lane never put it there before. Thanks for a great night, Layla

Nathan's, Ball Park, or Johnsonville Brats.

any Kosher, any beef, anything made old school.....like Bobak's up here, for example. NO mechanically separated anything- stuff is pure shit including the big names like Oscar and Ball Park. Never ever buy that shit.....read the labels. Plenty of great dogs out there but might cost 5 or 6 bucks per pound.

Best dog I ever ate was in the Atlanta airport several years ago....my flight was delayed about 3 hours and I was so hungry I could eat the brown ring around a skunks ass...Got me one of those big fat hotdogs and it was great..don't know what it was or if it was because I was so hungry, but it was goooooooood.

We have gone with Oscar Meyer Angus hotdogs.. Rolled around in the frying pan until it just chars it. From there you can go any way you want. Chilli, shredded cheese, how bout with hot spicy bbq sauce?? Mmmmmnnn good...
    I knew you weren't a Vol fan..
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Vols - 9
    Mocs - 10

Quote Originally Posted by tnjimbob View Post
    Nathan's, Ball Park, or Johnsonville Brats.
    +1 for Johnsonville "Stadium Brats"

I once had a hankerin' for Lucky Dogs but I think that had to do with it being Mardi Gras and having the beer-fueled munchies. http://www.luckydogs.us/

I love hot dogs..but they hate my guts. Literally. Habaneros, jalapenos, I can eat anything spicy. BUT hot dogs or anything with sage in it wears me out.

Quote Originally Posted by ElConquistador View Post
    We have gone with Oscar Meyer Angus hotdogs.. Rolled around in the frying pan until it just chars it. From there you can go any way you want. Chilli, shredded cheese, how bout with hot spicy bbq sauce?? Mmmmmnnn good...
    +1. We just discovered these and cook them on our George Foreman grill. IMO much better than the Hebrew or Nathans.

I tried the Ball Park Franks New York deli style hot dogs Saturday. They're all beef, nothing mechanically separated. They were okay but didnt' seem to have as much flavor as Nathan's or Hebrew National. What makes them different is they must have a thicker casing or skin, you really have to bite into it and there's more of a snap or pop when you do. I guess that's what deli style means?

Quote Originally Posted by popacapinvtwelvesass View Post
    I tried the Ball Park Franks New York deli style hot dogs Saturday. They're all beef, nothing mechanically separated. They were okay but didnt' seem to have as much flavor as Nathan's or Hebrew National. What makes them different is they must have a thicker casing or skin, you really have to bite into it and there's more of a snap or pop when you do. I guess that's what deli style means?
    the snappers are natural casings, the regular dogs are not. Also, Hebe National and Nathan's are using only beef chucks which has the best flavor. Also chucks provide the best flavor for burgers....although hard to find in a grocery store anymore, at least up here. They will sell you 80/20 ground beef, but when you ask if it is chuck they will hee haw around before telling you no.