Welcome to OuterMonVolia! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You can buy moonshine on line now

Yehaw!!! Seems Tennessee law has changed and they are selling and shipping the stuff out of Gatlinburg now. Don't know if Popcorn's in Nashville is doing the same yet.....

As Cas would say, "for all your aches and pains, I sware ain't nothin like it"

http://www.olesmokymoonshine.com/

I think it is being sold under the same law that allows a microbrewrey to sell beer. Don't think it is "real" moonshine. It is licensed and taxed whiskey.

It is real shit and the kicker is you can go to downtown Gatlinburg across from the convention center and they have a tasting area - free samples! They will sell it out of a separate room attached to the building where the stills are that is sold in Mason Jars. 100 proof stuff and get a few samples in you and you start to feel pretty good. They have White Lightening, Marinated cherries and a couple different variations but the one you want to try is the Apple Shine they make out of the White Lighting - that shit is good!

We literally stumbled into the place a few weekends ago because I noticed they had a live bluegrass band outside playing - pretty neat little shopping area.

Thanks PD!

Quote Originally Posted by FLAVOLS View Post
    It is real shit and the kicker is you can go to downtown Gatlinburg across from the convention center and they have a tasting area - free samples! They will sell it out of a separate room attached to the building where the stills are that is sold in Mason Jars. 100 proof stuff and get a few samples in you and you start to feel pretty good. They have White Lightening, Marinated cherries and a couple different variations but the one you want to try is the Apple Shine they make out of the White Lighting - that shit is good!

We literally stumbled into the place a few weekends ago because I noticed they had a live bluegrass band outside playing - pretty neat little shopping area.
    I understand all that, but the point is that it is a legal distillery and is federally and state regulated and taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPointDad View Post
    I think it is being sold under the same law that allows a microbrewrey to sell beer. Don't think it is "real" moonshine. It is licensed and taxed whiskey.
    don't think so. They have always sold the shitty stuff in the liquor stores. This is something new and different. Real stuff. Popcorns own version coming out of Nashville, this particular one is in Gatlinburg.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPointDad View Post
    I understand all that, but the point is that it is a legal distillery and is federally and state regulated and taxed.
    and your point?

Quote Originally Posted by FLAVOLS View Post

Im heading up there next weekend, whats the name of the joint?

Blog Entries

It's all clear when its distilled, and tastes like crap at that stage
    TIG, Lane never put it there before. Thanks for a great night, Layla

Quote Originally Posted by daytonlawvol View Post
    Im heading up there next weekend, whats the name of the joint?
    Ole Smoky Moonshine I think. You can ask anyone up there and they will know. It is next door to that King Kong exhibit/thingy (to the left if looking at it) and near the Beef Jerky Outlet - pure class Baby!

Thanks PD!

30 minutes from Neyland if the traffic ain't too bad.

The wife's friend at work brought us a quart of the apple. It froze solid when I put it in the freezer so the ach. content isn't very high. It tasted like moonshine flavered apple cider instead of apple flavored moonshine. I have a buddy that buys straight shine and flavors it with apple/cinnamon, cherries,peach, etc. His has quite a bit more kick than the shit from Gburg and he sells it cheaper.

Hey Naper,

I am in Oak Park, we should catch a game some time...

The wife and I stayed in G-burg over the holidays. Went to Ole Smoky Moonshine before dinner one night and had a good time tastin'. One shot o white lightning - 7 times filtered, one shot of the 2x filtered (more corn taste which I liked), one cherry soaked in shine = 1/2 a shot, and one shot of apple pie shine = 30 proof I think it was. Lil girl hit us quick with em, my wife asked her to stop and repeat herself about halfway through, lol.

They were only selling white lighting and the more corn tasting version while we were there, but rolled up a recipe for the apple pie version in our purchase. They were also selling the cherries in shine. I think they were all like 30$ a pop, so not cheap, but after the tasting and the viewing of the mash bubbling 2 ft away, I didn't mind so much. :-)

Definitely not an imitation, it lit me up a few minutes ago! To top this off we went on the wine trail in Sevierville, and did some tasting at Hillside Winery. I like wine, but that damn sweet stuff is not for me, the Black and Blue (Blackberry and Blueberry) was decent and the wife still talks about it, so whatever gets me some action.

Cheers!

So they dont have the Battery Acid and Antifreeze flavors yet?

Quote Originally Posted by VenomousVol View Post
    The wife's friend at work brought us a quart of the apple. It froze solid when I put it in the freezer so the ach. content isn't very high. It tasted like moonshine flavered apple cider instead of apple flavored moonshine. I have a buddy that buys straight shine and flavors it with apple/cinnamon, cherries,peach, etc. His has quite a bit more kick than the shit from Gburg and he sells it cheaper.
    I have no idea about their apple other than they do not sell it. They will sell you their White Lightning and give you the recipe for the Apple if you want it. I do know that the white lightning tasted like the shine I've had in the past but who knows? Yes, It is pricey. The last shine I bought was in a 2 liter plastic bottle and didn't cost hardly anything.
    Regardless, it does have a good alcohol content and is a pretty cool novelty up in Gburg.

Thanks PD!

It is a sad day to see that this outlaw board does not seem to know what outlaw whiskey is.

Only the kind made in Del Rio and the tourist spot in Gatlinburg.

Thanks PD!